This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about upgrade from jaunty to karmic

It's my first upgrade from versions, so I have to know a few things beforehand to be safe ^^'
    1st: Should I make a backup of my 9.04 system before trying the update? I have disk space for it, but it'd take a while.
    2nd: Will it overwrite my settings on the system with default ones? I already changed so much, it'd be a pain to work on it all again.
    3rd: wicd required the uninstall of the networkmanager that comes with jaunty. So I'll have to install it again? And the proprietary drivers too?

Perhaps these are silly questions, but I couldn't find them on the forum yet, and I prefer to ask before I explode my system to oblivion XD

Re: Questions about upgrade from jaunty to karmic

Have not yet tried this specific upgrade, but I think it's safe to assume that my previous four upgrades are a valid experience (fingers crossed)

1. Yes, definitely. Make a backup in any case.
    2. No, you'll not be back to defaults. The pain in this case will be that during the upgrade process, for each configuration file where you have messed up with the defaults, you'll be asked what to do: keep old config, overwrite with new or edit manually.
    3. No, you don't have to install WiCD again. If you've manually installed the drivers then yes, you'll have to recompile your drivers as with any change in kernel versions. If you've enabled the drivers via the System settings, those settings will be kept.

Comment

Working...
    X