X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving from Hardy

Hi!

I'm currently running Hardy and plan on upgrading to Karmic until the next LTS comes out.

My current system has plenty of space on the "OS" partition and a separate data partition for /home. I plan on adding Karmic in a separate partition (repartitioning the current "OS" partition) and maintaining both for a while. As I wasn't crazy about KDE 4 under Hardy, so I *may* end up on Ubuntu Karmic instead of Kubuntu Karmic, but that will be a ways off.

Now the questions:
    - Any obvious issues with this technique?
    - Any gotchas?
    - Other suggestions?

TIA,
    Dave

Re: Moving from Hardy

I've set aside two separate partitions for a second Kubuntu install with their own / and /home.
    But;
    ~/.mozilla, ~/.thunderbird and a few other application configurations are linked from the oldest (8.04) to the newer (9.10)
    The 8.04 /home is ext3 and the 9.10 is since I installed it ext4.

An other way would be to share the same /home between them, I few months ago I did this on my GF desktop when I upgraded it from 7.04 to 9.04.
    Once I was happy with the 9.04 install I moved 7.04 down in grub, at some time I'll overwrite it for the next upgrade.

Both systems share their swap.

Oh yes, luckily KDE4.3 cannot be compared to KDE4.0 8)

Comment

Sounds good! I was also wondering about any issues with GRUB2 and multiple distros, but it seems that wasn't a problem for you.

Thanx for the speedy reply!

Comment

Please note I did an upgrade from 9.04 and was not confronted with grub2.

I wonder what it'll do to my quadruple boot (Vista, XP, 9.10 and 8.04) as I've become quite comfortable at manually editing the menu.lst file...

Comment

Well, I was plannin' on waitin' a week or so before doing things to see what the issues were anyway; this just gives further impetus to that decision.

Comment

Working...
          X