Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

<SOLVED> possible to do upgrade 9.04 to 9.10 from ISO?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<SOLVED> possible to do upgrade 9.04 to 9.10 from ISO?

I already have the ISO, but, not knowing any better, I'm doing the network upgrade and of course it's taking HOURS. Seems like it ought to be possible to go from a Live Disk, but I cannot find any documentation suggesting this possibility. How about it

Re: possible to do upgrade 9.04 to 9.10 from ISO?

follow these instructions to upgrade from alternate cd: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ka...grades/Kubuntu

What i'm trying to do is mount the ISO and upgrade from there, but i'm not sure if it's possible.

In the mean time i burned the ISO to an actual CD, but the cd mount to "/media/Kubuntu 9.10 amd64/" so when using 'kdesudo "/media/Kubuntu9.10 amd64/cdromupgrade" i get "Command not found" error.
    I&#39;ll tell you all my secrets, but I&#39;ll lie about my past<br /><br />http://www.thebizneeds.com

Comment

yes, you can do it. you need to add a line to your fstab for the iso (technically you are setting it up as a loop device) then you can use apt-cdrom to add the cd image to the apt sources.list file.

Line in /etc/fstab...

<path on your system>/<iso image> <mount point on your system> iso9660 user,loop 0 0

Then from a terminal...

apt-cdrom -m -d=<mount point from step 1> add

Then you can upgrade from the iso image. There might be a little more to it. I've never done it but that's the basic idea. You need to make the iso available to apt.
      linux &amp;&amp; bash = &quot;the future&quot;

Comment

Damn. This sort of stuff just boggles me! How is it you know this? It makes sense, but where'd you get this info? Can I get that telephone number (ha!)

Thanks - both your idea and the previous one sound way better than waiting hours for the doggone "upgrade" from network to finish.

Why don't they tell people to do it this way? Bittorrent download is a snap, then you can just GO.

t.

UPDATE: Arrrgh. I tried to cancel the update, and was told that if I did there was a strong chance that demons would rise from the sea and devour the known world. Guess I'm stuck. I can try it with my netbook, though, if I can get UNetBootin to behave.

Comment

I don't know, practice and experience mean more than anything. The first time I installed Linux KDE did not exist yet. I was a couple years out of school using Solaris and hacking Perl at work when I heard about Linux. In the old days all you had was command-line, lots of stuff did not work out of the box and the community was small. You learned by reading and reverse engineering. It's easy these days.

Comment

Originally posted by ukchucktown
            Line in /etc/fstab...
            <path on your system>/<iso image> <mount point on your system> iso9660 user,loop 0 0
            by that you mean something like: /home/user/downloads/kubuntu-9.10-alternate-amd64.iso k910_upgrade iso9660 user,loop 0 0?
            I&#39;ll tell you all my secrets, but I&#39;ll lie about my past<br /><br />http://www.thebizneeds.com

Comment

Yeah that's what I mean, but the second path needs to be a full path and not relative as you have it. Google might be your friend: "iso as loop device" or something similar will bring back lots of study material.

Comment

You manage your software through a package manager like KPackagekit or Synaptic.
                This application gets the required software from the Ubuntu repositories.

In the package manager application is a button to manage the repositories you want to use.
                At the top of the list you will usually find the optical drive but disabled.

Another, direct, way is to select Software Sources from the K-Menu/System and add the CD/DVD.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcloyd
                  I already have the ISO, but, not knowing any better, I'm doing the network upgrade and of course it's taking HOURS. Seems like it ought to be possible to go from a Live Disk, but I cannot find any documentation suggesting this possibility. How about it
                  generally, only new users need the ISO. existing users should just use the network upgrade.

if you need hours to upgrade, how long do you need to download an ISO?

In most cases the ISO isn't enough and the ISO upgrade may fail. because you may have installed additional softwares which is not available in the ISO. those softwares need upgrade too. So it is very likely that upgrade from network is the only choice.

If upgrade is that slow, try wait for a week or a month, or change to a fast source, then you can upgrade faster.

Comment

Originally posted by pansz
                    Originally posted by tomcloyd
                    generally, only new users need the ISO. existing users should just use the network upgrade.

I got the ISO through KTorrent - and it took about 30 minutes! Hence my interest in upgrading from the ISO if at all possible.

In most cases the ISO isn't enough and the ISO upgrade may fail. because you may have installed additional softwares which is not available in the ISO. those softwares need upgrade too. So it is very likely that upgrade from network is the only choice.
                    I've been afraid of exactly this problem. Sigh.

If upgrade is that slow, try wait for a week or a month, or change to a fast source, then you can upgrade faster.
                    Agreed. With the move to 9.0.4 I waited a month, and the upgrade did not take all that long - maybe an hour?

OK, Time to be patient, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by pansz

I totally disagree. upgrading from the alternate cd works great. worked for me upgrading the last two versions of Kubuntu. In my experience, upgrading from the network is much less stable, and if you check comments posted already, you will notice that network upgrades do fail and render the computer in a bad state (no desktop, sometime without a bootable disk).

Comment

Re: &lt;SOLVED&gt; possible to do upgrade 9.04 to 9.10 from ISO?

The report of your experience is most interesting. I DID do the network upgrade...and now get a boot to a terminal screen from which I cannot go to anything useful. Appear to have a flawed grub 2 install, or none at all, and am working on that (not relevant to this thread). I suspect that this problem would have occurred had I upgraded from the alternate disk, as it's likely due to my somewhat unusual drive configuration.

I'm making a note to try the NEXT upgrade from the alternate disk, however, thanks to your report.

Tks for the post.

t.

Comment

Working...
                        X