Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

9.10 final doesn't do anything (won't install)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9.10 final doesn't do anything (won't install)

So I torrented 9.10, checked the md5sum, burned to CD and popped it in my computer and booted up.

So it gives me a language select menu and I choose English. Next it dumps me at the main menu with "Try Kubuntu...", "Install Kubuntu", "Check disc for defects", etc.

No matter what I choose, it does absolutely nothing. Well, that's not entirely true. My optical drive makes some noise, the computer stops responding to input for a couple of seconds, then nothing. The computer will respond to input again, I make another selection and the same thing happens.

On the same computer, 9.10 RC worked fine.

Re: 9.10 final doesn't do anything (won't install)

Did you get a bad burn? Try again.

Comment

It was a bad burn... wow, I didn't think that happened anymore in this day and age. I even selected "verify data after burning". Thanks!

Comment

I had a similar challenge.
        Downloaded just great, burned flawlessly, BUT the Live CD version will NOT connect to my WiFi after seeing it.
        So.....WHY install it? the 9.04 version works great!

We have to get OUR ducks in a row if we are going to make this available and a valid choice to the non-geek general public.
        I am by no means a power user or a technoid, just a regular guy using my laptops for work.
        I chose Linux back in the days when my Windows 2000 laptop was getting the blue screen of death and bogged down with viruses and junk crapware.

Then I wanted to use my laptop for photography, watching DVD's and burning music CD's and little by little learned and worked my way through this technical gauntlet.

But lately I have been spending more time working on my computers than working WITH my computers.

Every time a new version or update is introduced something needs mayor research, tinkering and fixing!
        ie: I use BOTH Kubuntu and OpenSUSE, I think they are great! BUT both new versions (Started with OpenSUSE 11.1) can't or won't connect with WiFi. For a laptop user, on the road that is a MAJOR challenge.

As I said this is happening with BOTH flavors of Linux on i64 laptops. Now I am able to buy the newest and latest MacBook Pro every year. I started with Macs about 9 years ago mostly for photography.
        But I have kept them for their reliability, yes, they are DEPENDABLE!
        But the average Joe or Jane can't do that, they expect their OS to work, specially if they chose to upgrade to the newest and latest version being introduced.

How can we introduce something that stops working or will not do what it was previously doing?

That is a downgrade, not an upgrade. I hope those movers and shakers can keep this in mind next time we think desktop market share.

Yeah, yeah, I know. I need to quit complaining.

Thank you.

Giving up on yourself is a CRIME<br />and it carries a LIFE SENTENCE!

Comment

same problem here, it won't install anything, installed 9.10 on a spare hard disk

Comment

Originally posted by clockworks
            It was a bad burn... wow, I didn't think that happened anymore in this day and age. I even selected "verify data after burning". Thanks!
            Hi clockworks,

I am not very familiar with Linux but would like to install Kubuntu as the sole operating system on a second desktop computer that I have. I just have an empty NTFS windows formatted 25 GB hard drive on this computer with 1 GB of RAM. There is no operating system on it.

Today I downloaded the kubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso file and I have also installed InfraRecorder program on my working Windows XP computer.

1. Can you tell me where the MD5 checksums of this file are shown ? I tried searching for these at the kubuntu download site in vain.

2. Can you tell me what Windows program you were using when you burnt the iso file onto CD ? What is the Kubuntu 9.10 equivalent program of InfraRecorder ?

3. Did you use a CD-R or CD-RW compact disc when you had your bad burn?
            What measures did you take if any to obtain a good burn ?

4. If and when I successfully burn a Kubuntu CD, will this Kubuntu CD automatically install the Kubuntu on the hard drive even though there is no operating system on the computer ? Will it automatically format my Windows formatted hard drive into Linux format ?

Thank you for your help and anyone else's.

Comment

Originally posted by trigan
              1. Can you tell me where the MD5 checksums of this file are shown ? I tried searching for these at the kubuntu download site in vain.
              Look at the bottom of this page
              http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/download

Comment

A bit of a wild guess here, but since 9.10RC installed OK, I'd guess that the problem is your media - bad CD. Redo the whole thing - that's what I'd do. EXCEPT, I wouldn't, 'cause...

IF YOU ALREADY HAVE 9.10RC INSTALLED, and it's fully updated, you don't need to install the "regular" 9.10. You already have it. There have been several threads about this here, all saying the same thing: Karmic 9.10RC, fully updated IS the current 9.10 release! Leave it be, and be happy.

Comment

Thank you, skunk for showing me where the checksums are. I used google search this site facility but must have been too tired to see that it was listed. I tried typing MD5 again in the google search box and clicked the Search the kubuntu download site and there it is, the second search result.

Comment

Working...
                  X