This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do if KDE doesn't start

With the new release of Karmic at hand, there are bound to be instances where problems with video drivers prevent KDE from starting properly. This usually results in a blank/black screen after logging in. The solution to the problem is to install and configure the proper video drivers for your system. However, there is a temporary fix that may get you to a useable desktop. By default, KDE installs with compositing turned on. "Compositing" is the special effects that make the desktop look cool, but require accelerated video drivers that the install program may not set up correctly. One way around this problem is to disable compositing. To do this, you will need to get to a text console. This may happen automatically when you try to log in, or you may have to select "Console Login" from the login screen. Once you get to the text screen, log in with your username and password. Then type the following commands:

Code:
    sudo service kdm stop
    cd ~/.kde/share/config
    cp kwinrc kwinrc-backup
    sed -e '/Compositing/,/^$/s/Enabled=true/Enabled=false/' < kwinrc-backup > kwinrc
    sudo service kdm start
    This should get you back into kde, with no special effects. You can search this forum for help on your particular video system after that.

Edit: see here for help installing NVIDIA drivers:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...4892#msg164892

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Re: What to do if KDE doesn't start

Hey, I followed your advice and I still have the same problem (text startup and no spiffy KDE graphics after upgrading to karmic). I should mention I'm on an ASUS X58C laptop with an SiS Mirage 3 graphics adapter and I gather SiS graphics adapters are a pain to get to work on GNU/Linux. I couldn't get Knoppix to boot on this laptop but kubuntu 9.04 worked fine, although I couldn't get above 800x600 resolution on it.

Any pointers on where to go from here? I'd prefer not to revert if at all possible.
    &quot;I&#39;ve resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.&quot;

Comment

Only thing I can suggest is, from a text console (which I gather is all you have)

Code:
      sudo service kdm stop
      sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
      sudo service kdm start
      If that doesn't work, then unless you can find proprietary drivers for your video chip, you could try installing a different desktop -- icewm is small and light, gnome is big, and might not work for the same reasons as kde.
      sudo apt-get install icewm icewm-themes
      sudo apt-get install ubuntu-dekstop

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Thanks a lot for replying, I'll try that.
        &quot;I&#39;ve resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.&quot;

Comment

Alright, that didn't work so I d/led and burned the 9.10 ISO, did a clean install and now it works (I was going to say works beautifully but it crashed while I was typing that!). So, that's one problem resolved at least, let this be a lesson to me about upgrading using kpackage. Thanks again for trying to help.

Comment

Working...
          X