X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Karmic RC won't boot on 64 bit machine after upgrade from Jaunty

Hi there,

after upgrading my laptop with the i386 version of Karmic Beta, I played a bit and decided that Karmic would be fine for me to upgrade the desktop as well.

After performing the upgrade from Jaunty on my desktop (64 bit), the machine would not boot at all: After selecting Kernel 2.6.31 in the Grub boot menu, the screen remains black, there is no harddisc activity, and I cannot even switch Caps lock on or off any more (which normally works during the boot of other kernels). This happens in both normal mode and safe mode.

I tried to boot with the old Kernel 2.6.28, and did not have any problems booting. I then installed 2 mainline kernels from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ : First the latest 2.6.31, which showed exactly the same behaviour. After that, I tried 2.6.32 RC5, with which I again had no problems to boot the machine.

I then tried to boot the machine with 2 Live CDs of Karmic RC: The i386 Live CD worked without any problems, the 64bit CD showed the same problems.

Since I have the same problems with 2.6.31 with both the Ubuntu and the Mainline kernel, I tend to think that there is an incompatibility between this specific kernel version and my machine.

Since I can use the machine with kernel versions other than 2.6.31, there is no real presssure to get it working, but I would really like to dig a bit further in this issue.

However, since the kernel obviously does not even start booting, I assume there won't be any boot logfiles which could give me a hint what's wrong. Therefore, I have no clue how to start with the investigation.

Does anybody have a hint what I could do to further investigate and eventually fix this issue, other than waiting for 10.04 ? Simply filing a bug report stating "Kernel does not boot on machine with CPU x and mainboard Y would not make sense to me, and probably not to anyone else either.

Regards,

Jens

Re: Karmic RC won't boot on 64 bit machine after upgrade from Jaunty

It does sound like the new kernel has some kind of a problem with your hardware.

Did you try making a Live CD and try to boot that?

Comment

Yes, I did, see my post.

>I then tried to boot the machine with 2 Live CDs of Karmic RC: The i386 Live CD worked without
      >any problems, the 64bit CD showed the same problems.

Comment

You might not have a "fully" 64-bit system, perhaps. Not only the CPU must be a 64-bit architecture, but the chipset and memory bus must support it. You might need to use 32-bit on that platform.

Comment

Good point, Dibl!

My previous laptop, a Gateway m675prr, had a single 3.0 GHz CPU, but most tools reported it as having two cores but it actually produced two THREADS from one CPU.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
            You might not have a "fully" 64-bit system, perhaps. Not only the CPU must be a 64-bit architecture, but the chipset and memory bus must support it. You might need to use 32-bit on that platform.
            Hi Dibl,

well, for 3 years now I am running 64 bit versions of Kubuntu on that machine. It's a AMD X2 5000+ on a ASUS M2R-FVM board with 4 Gigs of RAM. I did upgrade from 64 bit Jaunty which worked flawlessly with kernel 2.6.28. (I think in between, I also tried 2.6.29 and 2.6.30 mainline kernels to check for hardware support of a new intel LAN card which wasn't supported by Jaunty yet...) Since kernel 2.6.32 RC5 does the job as well, I would rather suspect that something is wrong with the current kernel 2.6.31, and I would like to dig further to find out what that could be.

Regards,

Jens

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
              Good point, Dibl!

My previous laptop, a Gateway m675prr, had a single 3.0 GHz CPU, but most tools reported it as having two cores but it actually produced two THREADS from one CPU.
              I digress, but I had a Gateway 675 and then a 685. By far my favorite laptops ever but they're damned heavy if you've gotta carry them through an airport.

The CPU you mention is an old hyperthreading processor based on Pentium 4 architecture and as you mention, not 64-bit.
              we see things not as they are, but as we are.
              -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
              X