This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Hangs after login screen

I tried to login yesterday after a whole batch of updates and now Kubuntu just hangs after I enter the password. Luckily I also have Ubuntu and I am able to get in with that, does anybody know what's going on?

Re: Kubuntu Hangs after login screen

Not seeing any other posts quite like this one, so ......

If you don't have your heart set on 100% preservation of your customized settings (how could you, on a Beta OS?), then probably you can rename the ~/.kde folder and restart the X server, or reboot the system, and maybe it will open the KDE desktop correctly.

Probably would be wise to apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade first, in the CLI, just in case there's more that needs installed in advance of fixing X. So I'm saying boot single-user mode, aka Recovery mode, and do the updating, then if X still won't start, rename ~/.kde and try restarting X, which should spawn a new ~/.kde folder for you and a default KDE 4 desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      Not seeing any other posts quite like this one, so ......

If you don't have your heart set on 100% preservation of your customized settings (how could you, on a Beta OS?), then probably you can rename the ~/.kde folder and restart the X server, or reboot the system, and maybe it will open the KDE desktop correctly.

Probably would be wise to apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade first, in the CLI, just in case there's more that needs installed in advance of fixing X. So I'm saying boot single-user mode, aka Recovery mode, and do the updating, then if X still won't start, rename ~/.kde and try restarting X, which should spawn a new ~/.kde folder for you and a default KDE 4 desktop.
      I tried your suggestions without any success, decided to reinstall instead. It does dismay me however that virtually a week away from final release that something so basic can occur, I love KK but it is mindblogging how many things that previously worked are broken.

Comment

I agree. My computer worked just fine through the alpha releases.
        As soon as I got onto the Beta version, hell opened releasing a host of bad things to screw up my system.

Beta had a bad start on my system.
        Only a clean re-install fixed most of the problems together with the updates of course.

Comment

Toshiba Satellite A100-SK4, intel graphics

I think I am getting the same problem. I rebooted the system this morning after installing the latest updates - the first time in several days. After the password prompt, the kde splash screen would start normally before going black and restarting in an endless loop.

Today, I did a fresh install of karmic rc1 and from the console, installed all the latest updates. I managed to boot into KDE but the fonts were insanely large, the letters were a quarter of the screen height. The huge fonts happened previously and seems to be caused by an interaction between the intel video driver and my hardware. I normally get around this by specifying screen dimensions and DPI in xorg.conf. So, I created and edited xorg.conf as previously and rebooted the machine. Now, half way through the KDE spash screen, the screen goes black with a frozen mouse pointer and I cannot bring up a console or kill X, so I have to reboot with the power button.

If I specify the vesa driver instead of intel in xorg.conf, everything works normally.

Comment

Originally posted by spode
            Toshiba Satellite A100-SK4, intel graphics
            Welcome to Karmic and Intel integrated graphics. My Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller works in Karmic, but with complications with compositing. I can boot into and get a working Desktop, but it's sluggish and I have no compositing. I've opted not to run Karmic - at this time - hoping that the issue with Intel GPUs gets resolved. I'll try after Karmic goes Final, and see if any updates fix this. If not, well, I'll continue to use Ubuntu Jaunty - everything works with it.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The thing is, Karmic was working really well for me until the recent updates. I don't know whether it is some updated Intel driver that has come through, or Xorg, or KDE.

Comment

Today's update nuked kde: black screen o' death after the login screen.
                Gnome continued to work just fine.
                I got the desktop back by logging into the console, and turning off compositing in ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc (do this by editing kwinrc, and under the compositing section, change 'enabled=true' to false.

Ultimately I had to reinstall my (proprietary NVIDIA) video driver.

Now all seems to be well. So maybe if you are having trouble getting beyond the login screen, killing compositing in this way might get you back into kde.
                We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd

Ultimately I had to reinstall my (proprietary NVIDIA) video driver.
                  Updates to Xorg or other video-related modules can screw up the driver performance, and necessitate a reinstallation of the driver.

Comment

Updates to Xorg or other video-related modules can screw up the driver performance, and necessitate a reinstallation of the driver.
                    Yeah, but strange that gnome -- with compositing enabled -- worked just fine. We've seen this kind of thing in other posts.
                    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

This problem has rectified itself for me after installing updates a day or two ago. I have re-enabled the Intel video driver and compositing. All working very nicely.

Comment

Working...
                      X