This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved--mostly] New Kernel not in grub --- system unbootable

During the upgrade from Jaunty to Karmic the updater crashed hard and the computer was unresponsive (lost the keyboard and mouse, even) for over an hour. So after reboot, only the Jaunty kernels are available and they get hung up not being able to mount some file systems and go into an unhelpful read-only help mode. The new kernel is not in menu.lst and looking in the /boot there is no initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic.

I can boot using the cd image, but I don't know how to fix this. Something similar had happened with the same process on a different system, but it seemed to resolve itself somehow...

So can I copy initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic from one machine to another, or do I have to build this file somehow? The other files specified in the menu.lst for other kernels are there, just the .img is misssing. I am backed up, but want to avoid a complete reinstall because I do have several special setup options...

<edit> An update: I downloaded a live cd of the beta today (yes I checked that that was ok) , and that gets hung up, but I can't tell where. My strategy for copying the img file was also flawed as that didn't help either. So, I am back to reinstalling jaunty. Perhaps there is some incompatibility between karmic and my bios? I will try again with the RC boot disk, but not today...

<2nd edit> A further update: I was indeed able to copy the .img file, I simply forgot to change a number in the menu.lst entry. THis got me to an incomplete boot, but I was able to get a terminal and sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. This completed the installation and everything works great. I still don't know why the crash happened, but this is on two out of two systems upgrading that the upgrade crashed. Good thing I got my cli skilz 8) .

Re: [solved--mostly] New Kernel not in grub --- system unbootable

Bump for edits and solvation!

Comment

Working...
    X