Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have to boot with the live cd grub2 trashed.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have to boot with the live cd grub2 trashed.

Okay, I have two karmic (don't ask why) one was alpha3 on sda1 the other is beta on sda8.

Anyway I had to replace a defect HD connection cable on HD2.
    The bois recognizes the disk again and I can read write to from a running os.

The problem is my grub2 (karmic sda1) doesn't load at boot.

I have benn able to boot from the live cd->boot from harddisk and try o few things:
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Code:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    nothing works.
    the boot just sits there for ever and doesn't go on the the grub boot.

I can still boot my os's from live cd though, so grub has to be somewhere.

Any ideas?

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Re: Have to boot with the live cd grub2 trashed.

Hey Fintan, are you 100% sure that both hdds are connected? They both show up in BIOS correctly? It acts like it is not reading the MBR at all, on the bootable drive. Any chance of some kind of damage or failure on the motherboard hdd controller or connector or something?

I don't think it's entirely true that "grub has to be somewhere" just because you can boot an OS from the Live CD. I think you can do that with no grub at all.

I think I would install legacy grub, just to get a functioning system. If you can run a Live CD from 9.04 or before, or some other Linux, you should be able to get a grub prompt, run the "geometry" command, tell it which /boot is the root that you want booted, and then install grub.

Comment

Fintan, if you should want to try to make GRUB 2 work, using a live 9.10 CD, you should be able to install GRUB 2 to any of your MBRs. (SECTION 4 of the GRUB 2 Guide.) And it sounds like you already know that.

When you reboot, if you only get a blinking cursor at the top left of the screen, or maybe just a sitting black screen--with no GRUB boot menu showing up--then I'd check my BIOS settings, make sure that BIOS did not flip into defaults or reset into defaults and is looking for the floppy drive or something (Boot Order menu in BIOS). As dibl says, also check that all drives show up in BIOS. Also need a boot flag on all bootable drives.

If it was working before, you should be able to make it work now (i.e., some folks have encountered bugs when using two drives for dual boot, and they never did get it to work right).

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

One more idea. Force GRUB to probe devices/device.map again with --recheck:

sudo grub-install --recheck /dev/sda

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

@ dible thank you for the input.
          Code:
          are you 100% sure that both hdds are connected?They both show up in BIOS correctly?
          yes:
          Quote from above:
          The bios recognizes the disk again and I can read write to from a running os.
          @Qmike:
          When you reboot, if you only get a blinking cursor at the top left of the screen, or maybe just a sitting black screen--with no GRUB boot menu showing up--then I'd check my BIOS settings, make sure that BIOS did not flip into defaults
          I guess I mis expressed my self.
          What I get is after the bios boots and "want" to go to the grub boot it hangs with a horizontal cursor.

I will try this:
          Code:
          from my running kk on sda8 and report back

Thankx and a big cheers
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I don't know if this is relevant to your problem, but I noticed that one of the updates in the last couple of days threatened to remove "grub-pc", which on my system is grub2. That's because it wanted to update grub (legacy), which I had not removed. Fortunately I caught it before it went through, removed grub legacy, and everything went fine. If you didn't remove grub legacy, the update will have trashed grub-common, update-grub, and a few other things (but probably not /etc/grub.d). Maybe you need to boot with your SGD or whatever it is, remove grub, and reinstall grub-pc.
            We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Code:
              did not help.

reinstalling kk on sda1

@doctor: unfortunatly the grub from my sda1 was grub2 and not legacy.

Will report back
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

In doing a lot of booting experiments, I've repeatedly found my Intel BIOS to do a good job. However, when things get wild, sometimes BIOS flips its settings. For example, even though I don't have a floppy and never did have one, BIOS may slip it into the boot order as #1 boot device, causing the blinking (horizontal) cursor. So that's why I suggested to double check how BIOS is seeing things.

Comment

Yep, well sort of.

my bios seems to have changed th boot order from:
                  cdrom
                  hdd0
                  hdd1

to:
                  cdrom
                  hdd1
                  hdd0

Bad bios

Now all is in order
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

hot damn

Comment

Working...
                    X