This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu karmic on last HD keeps from booting Ubuntu jaunty from CD

I had trouble with KDE4 on tthis machine (but not on a similar one). The keyboard always locked as soon as lgin was complete and KDE kicked in. I installed Gnome just to try and didn't have the same problem but all my files were on the desktop and I wanted to go back to KDE. I deleted all KDE files and reinstalled. Same problem. I tried to download Kubuntu karmic but was given Ubuntu instead. Tried to intsall KDE and got a message that it wasn't available yet.

Even though I selected "install side by side" the boot menu indicates there is nothing on the 500Gb but U. karmic. I tried to look with Knoppix but could only find the 2.4 version so it was no help. I had backed up my important files just before starting all this but would like to get to some of the program files (and my Firefox bookmarks) without rediong everything.

I took the spare disk out of the other computer. It has an earlier K. versios (might be Intrepid). Even if I diable the 500Gb disk I get Gnome. the only way I can get K. is to designate the 125Gb as the first HD.

I realize I may not get any help at this point bit think there is a bug that needn to be fixes posthaste. So far, karmic is about to sink lower on my list than hardy (I couldn't wait to get rid of that one!). I may sit out karmic and wait for the L release, whatever that is to be called.

Re: Ubuntu karmic on last HD keeps from booting Ubuntu jaunty from CD

Originally posted by jdtiede
    I had trouble with KDE4 on tthis machine (but not on a similar one). The keyboard always locked as soon as lgin was complete and KDE kicked in. I installed Gnome just to try and didn't have the same problem but all my files were on the desktop and I wanted to go back to KDE. I deleted all KDE files and reinstalled. Same problem. I tried to download Kubuntu karmic but was given Ubuntu instead. Tried to intsall KDE and got a message that it wasn't available yet.
    "was given" --

"Tried to install KDE ...

If you downloaded a Kubuntu ISO image, then you got a Kubuntu ISO image -- it is not possible to choose to download a Kubuntu ISO and get something else. To add the KDE suite to a Ubuntu system, you don't install "KDE" -- you install "kubuntu-desktop" to get the KDE suite, including the K Desktop Environment. Then you should have the ability to choose the DE to log in to from the greeter.

But that's a pretty complicated setup to try on a Beta OS and software system -- I wouldn't recommend it.

Even though I selected "install side by side" the boot menu indicates there is nothing on the 500Gb but U. karmic.
    If you are reaching that conclusion by reading the boot menu, then you need to know that all versions of *buntu (Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu, etc.) are identified on the Grub boot menu as "Ubuntu" -- that does not mean that the DE is going to be Gnome. It just means that the kernels that are booted are the same across the different DEs.

I took the spare disk out of the other computer. It has an earlier K. versios (might be Intrepid). Even if I diable the 500Gb disk I get Gnome. the only way I can get K. is to designate the 125Gb as the first HD.
    I'm not sure what you are trying to do here -- recover data files, or boot the Kubuntu OS? There are instructions in multiple threads on this forum, regarding how to work with legacy Grub and change the boot menu. Here is a good one:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

However the new Grub2 in Karmic is a different beast altogether. Unless you want to add a big learning experience to the challenges you are already facing, I would not attempt to deal with it at this moment.

I realize I may not get any help at this point bit think there is a bug that needn to be fixes posthaste. So far, karmic is about to sink lower on my list than hardy (I couldn't wait to get rid of that one!). I may sit out karmic and wait for the L release, whatever that is to be called.
    To be honest, I'm not sure which of the numerous issues that you described is the one you are calling a "bug". But, I don't see a bug description here, and if you had one, the proper place to file your report is Launchpad. Kubuntu developers do not hang out on this forum looking for things to do.

Comment

Working...
    X