This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System totally screwed

Just performed the latest series of updates and now I cannot login as both the mouse and keyboard are totally f$*ked. Short of waiting for the beta to arrive and starting again what can I do? The ultimate embarrassment is that I am having to send this using Windows XP.

Re: System totally screwed

Can you log in from another computer? On my home wireless network, I can log in to one of my computers from any other using a text terminal and the ssh command - for example, at the moment the computer I'm using has the IP address 192.168.2.5, and I can go on another computer, type

Code:
    ssh myusername@192.168.2.5
    and control the computer. From there, I'd wait a few hours and see if new updates fix your problem, as this is quite likely.

I don't use Windows enough to know what terminal software there is, but it'll exist. Let me know if you want more detail on any of the other steps - I don't know how experienced you are.

Comment

If you are using a USB keyboard and mouse, you might try using a ps/2 keyboard. That was what I did.

Or if you have a ps/2 adapter for your usb keyboard that might work as well.

-Andy
      "No theory, no ready-made system, no book that has ever been written will save the world. I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker." - Mikhail Bakunin

Comment

The link here:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...6406#msg196406

may prove helpful -- no guarantees.

Comment

Those input woes (keyboard/mouse) may just be the same dbus/hal issues I have.

See http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106466.0.
          KDE, I heart thee.

Comment

Working...
          X