This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Keyboard doesn't access bios or grub, works fine after OS loads

Strange problem here. When I restart, my keyboard is dead to get to the bios or the grub menu (can't access newer kernels or other os's), but it works fine when the OS loads. I can type my password into the login screen, and in fact I'm writing this on it. Suspect the MB is going bad, a Via Km800 (or so). Downloaded a boot-able set of diagnostic tools (Ultimate Boot CD) but the first thing it asks is to hit the enter key to boot the disk and of course the keyboard doesn't work.
    Any Ideas
    Longtime Linux user but new to posting so any requisite info?
    Thanks

Re: Keyboard doesn't access bios or grub, works fine after OS loads

has this allways ben the case or has it just started doing this?

is it a prity standerd keybord?

can you get your hand's on anuther to try?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Standard us keyboard
      noticed it about 2 weeks ago after no significant changes to hardware
      thought my wife had a usb keyboard i could try but was mistaken (too bad)
      What are you thinking?

Comment

I was thinking that if it's just poing up (the problem) then you may be right about the keybord or MOBO going bad or the BIOS it's self .......the BIOS setings being the first thing youd want to check .....but if the keybord dosent work then how to get to the BIOS??

but then if it's the keybord ...why dose it work after the OS boot's??

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

Exactly (about the keyboard working after the OS loads)
          Thanks for the response Vinny.
          Any idea if there's a software pkg out there to check the MB, processor, power supply that I can download and run from KDE?
          I haven't seen one. All I see runs check on the sound card, disk, video card and stuff but no MB checks (gnome system checks).

Comment

Originally posted by Maldon

Any idea if there's a software pkg out there to check the MB, processor, power supply that I can download and run from KDE?
            Alass no I do not ........but would allso be interested if there were as I have sevrall old boxes around hear that run Kubuntu and could probebley use checking

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

Thanks for the prompt replies. If I find said software I'll let you know. Best suggestion I've gotten so far is to physically inspect the MB for goo or swelling on the capacitors but won't be able to do that till I have some time to myself on Friday. So I'll be checking out till then.
              Thanks

Comment

Is this a USB keyboard, or a PS2 Keyboard? If it is a USB keyboard and your MB has a PS2 port, try a PS2 keyboard, and vice-versa.

Comment

If it is a USB keyboard, I have come across this before and the answer may lie in your computer's BIOS.
                  "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                  "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by arochester
                    If it is a USB keyboard, I have come across this before and the answer may lie in your computer's BIOS.
                    Yep. Try unplugging and replugging the keyboard from the USB port. That should make it work.

If you have need to get into the grub menu and the keyboard isn't responding at that time, then that is a separate fix. After Kubuntu boots you can edit grub's configuration to lengthen the delay. Sorry, but I don't know how to do this for grub2.
                    Welcome newbies!
                    Verify the ISO
                    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Re: [Solved] Keyboard doesn't access bios or grub, works fine after OS loads

Thanks for all the great attention to this issue.
                      I feel like a complete idiot.
                      Went to open the box to check the MoBo and realized when I started unplugging cords that I had the PS2 keyboard plugged into the mouse slot. I'd opened the case to blow out the dust about a month ago. Plugged it in the right spot and now everything is up and going again.
                      Guess I'll put this down to remembering to check the basics first!
                      Thanks again
                      So how do I mark this as solved and move on?

Comment

Just click the Modify button on your opening post of this thread and alter the Subject line. Put the word solved in brackets at the front of the subject.
                        Welcome newbies!
                        Verify the ISO
                        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Working...
                        X