This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

audio issues (popping)

Hey all. Firstly I want to thank you for your time. If not for the overwhelming support here, I would've fallen flat on my ass.
    Secondly, I am a reformed Winders geek, and the culture shock has been interesting to say the least. I'm close to having a perfect system though, thanks to you.

Having a problem with sound. It works mostly, but there are gaps every few seconds, somewhat akin to a stutter. Or a popping. So, I googled it, which lead me here: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...ic=3110125.new

It didn't fix it for me, so I shuffled through the options for soundcard preference and that didn't help.

My specs, in case it helps.

Dell GX-150 (Which is "optimized" for Winders XP, but runs better under Ubuntu/Kubuntu...who saw THAT coming?)
    1.1 Ghz Celeron
    512 MB RAM
    160 GB WD HD
    Nvidia FX 5500 128 MB (video)
    Intel 82801BA-ICH2 with AD1885 (sound)

Interestingly, I don't have this problem in Ubuntu. I'm running 9.10 on both.

By the way...did MS rip off Compiz??

If there is any additional info you may need to steer me in the right direction, please let me know. (How to find it may be helpful as well lol)

Re: audio issues (popping)

the post you linked to is a little misleading ......as etc-modprob.d is a folder (DIR)
    and the file to edit for the poping is alsa-base.conf in the /etc/modprobe.d DIR and this fix usualey just fixes the pop when first starting audio playback.............but it may work for you and it's safe enuff to just try...................so.......

Code:
    kdesudo kate /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    and add a coment # to the last line so it looks like this......

# Keep snd-pcsp from being loaded as first soundcard
    options snd-pcsp index=-2
    # Power down HDA controllers after 10 idle seconds
    #options snd-hda-intel power_save=10 power_save_controller=N
    after adding the # to the begining of the last line place your curser at the end of the file and hit enter then close and save the file.

and test the audio if it's worse then chang it back no harm.

VINNY

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Also many people are having this issue if the mic and mic boost are cranked up. Try lowering the volume in kmix

Please Read Me

Comment

I also got popping noises when I tried a backport of the 2.6.32.-17 kernel for a new version of VirtualBox. Went away when I reverted to my previous kernel.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Nothing suggested seems to be helping. New info: It only hapens when playing system sounds and my mp3s. I was playing Lincity, and it wasn't doing it at all. Also doesn't do it when watching YouTube videos.

What do you think would happen if I I copied my alsa-base.conf from Ubuntu and overwrite Kubuntu's with it?

It doesn't bother me to switch over to Ubuntu to listen to my music, it would be cool to get it working in Kubuntu though.

Comment

Working...
          X