This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for a new SSD

I would like to change the HD (2.5" 160GB) in my Asus EeePC 1101HA with a faster SSD.
    Which is the best supported driver?
    A size of 64GB could be enough for me.

Re: Advice for a new SSD

Just about any SSD that'll connect to your netbook will work since the SSD doesn't need a driver. Disk *controllers* need drivers, disk drives don't.

we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

Right -- any SATA SSD will be fine.

Comment

I will say that with 1.6GHz Atom netbooks the bottleneck is most likely the processor and crappy Intel 945 video, not the hard drive. The SSD will boot faster but for real-world operation you might be better served by a mechanical hard drive.

I've got basically the same netbook (1.6GHz Atom, 2GB RAM, 160GB hard drive) and although I toyed with the idea of putting an SSD in it I decided against it as most of the time this thing just runs a web browser. I think I saw more of a performance improvement switching to Google Chrome than I would have installing an SSD.

I *do* have a fast SSD in my work laptop, though - and am a bit less than impressed. I'd put one in my Core i7 desktop in a minute, though - as on that machine the bottleneck is definitely hard drive.
        -- anais nin

Comment

What about trim support, Win7 has it, vista doesn't how about Linux?
          How often can you get this quality for free.

Comment

hdparm 9.17 supports trim commands and kernel support is supposed to be in 2.6.33
            -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000
              hdparm 9.17 supports trim commands and kernel support is supposed to be in 2.6.33
              That's great news.
              How often can you get this quality for free.

Comment

Also, mounting with "notail, noatime" helps. I usually use reiserfs and these options in fstab will make it a bit faster.

Yesterday I formatted my SSD using nilfs2 and it's blazing fast - a little faster than my 4x4gb RAID0!

I haven't run much from it yet but plan too.

Please Read Me

Comment

Weird - after initial test nilfs slowed down. I just installed btrfs on my ssd and it's fast and holding! btrfs (butter-fs) has ssd optimizing built in.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                  X