Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[solved] Asus N50F Notebook: How do I change the monitor resolution to 1366x768?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] Asus N50F Notebook: How do I change the monitor resolution to 1366x768?

SOLUTION: Change "vesa" in xorg.conf to "intel". Thread with explanation is here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ight=arrandale

I recently bought an Asus N50F Notebook running Windows & 64-bit. Loaded Kubuntu 9.10 last night from a factory disc without issues, enabled repos and downloaded bug fixes and updates. All is well except that the display resolution is set at 1024x768 and the screen size is 1366x768, so everything is stretched horizontally. The krandr GUI only has only the 1024x768 choice available. Xrandr in a terminal gives the same results. I followed some advice on this subject, modifying xorg.conf and just turned the screen to mush. Managed to set it back to original and my monitor is back as before. Have read lots of posts and not found anything that seems like it applies, at least not that I could understand.

Windows claims it is an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD video card, with Intel Auburandale/Arrandale chipset driver. I've been running Kubuntu for a few years, but both the laptop and Karmic are new to me.

Very much hoping that a video card guru will come to my rescue with a procedure that I can manage. Please note that I don't play around with my OS for fun and experimentation much, so you can lose me pretty fast on the command line.

Re: [solved] Asus N50F Notebook: How do I change the monitor resolution to 1366x768?

Question asked, researched, and solved, all by the OP. Now that's what we like to see. Good job.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: [solved] Asus N50F Notebook: How do I change the monitor resolution to 1366x768?

Thanks. I do what I can. Ironically, the acceleration now seems to be sluggish compared to the vesa setting. As a simple test, a short video that played smoothly before (with the vesa 1024x768 setting) now plays like it has sandpaper in the drive, same as when I boot into Windows 7. Go figure. No doubt there is some modification to be made somewhere. I'll be happy to take advice on that...

Comment

It's from my dealing in Jaunty, but as I also have an Intel GPU in my laptop, you might want to take a look.

Jaunty 9.04 Installed
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X