X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] Creative X-Fi and HDA Intel ALC888

Hi Kubuntu Community,

I just switched from Ubuntu 9.10 to Kubuntu 9.10 and so far I really like it. There is, however, one problem, that really needs fixing.
    I always had a Creative X-Fi Soundcard installed, parallel to the onboard soundchip on my mainboard. Because I never got the X-Fi working in Ubuntu I used the onboard sound which worked just fine. The X-Fi had to stay, because I dual boot with Windows to play the occasional game, for which the X-Fi is just a much better choice than the onboard solution.
    The two soundcards never caused any problems up until now.
    With Kubuntu I encounter the following problem:
    KDE applications like Amarok, or Dragon Player work fine with the onboard chip, but I cannot convince apps like VLC, Skype or the flash-plugin for the web browser to use it. Instead they use the X-Fi as output which I hear, because I have my headphones connected to it.
    I already checked the multimedia settings and have set the HDA Intel ALC888 as the highest preference for every category, but still it does not work.
    How can I remove the X-Fi from the Kubuntu system and make every application use the onboard chip.

I have used Ubuntu for a long time, but I really like KDE so far and wouldn't want to go back because of this.
    Please keep your possible answers simple, as I am more of the user than the tweaker type. I do know my way around but am far from familiar with all the ins and outs of KUbuntu

regards

Kane

Re: Creative X-Fi and HDA Intel ALC888

I assume you used System Settings > Multimedia and ticked "Advanced Devices" and ordered them properly.

Also there are still lots of issues with pulseaudio. I was only able to get my AC1988's three outputs working correct by removing pulseaudio totally.

As far as Skype goes - it has the option to select a sound device. This doesn't work?

Finally - totally removing the driver or blacklisting the X-Fi card should kill it totally, but that means it won't work at all.

Look at /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and see if your cards are properly optioned

Please Read Me

Comment

I did go to system settings and ordered the devices. I also set up Skype to use the Intel Card. But it was no use.

killing the x-fi totally sounds good. I don't need it in Kubuntu at all, only in Windows. How do I go about removing it completely?

Thanks for your help

regards

Kane

Comment

Well, never having had two sound cards at once ---

Your sound drivers should be loaded in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf. Mine looks like
        Code:
        # autoloader aliases
        install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-0
        install sound-slot-1 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-1
        install sound-slot-2 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-2
        install sound-slot-3 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-3
        install sound-slot-4 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-4
        install sound-slot-5 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-5
        install sound-slot-6 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-6
        install sound-slot-7 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-7

# Cause optional modules to be loaded above generic modules
        install snd /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-ioctl32 ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq ; }
        #
        # Workaround at bug #499695 (reverted in Ubuntu see LP #319505)
        install snd-pcm /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-pcm $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-pcm-oss ; : ; }
        install snd-mixer /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-mixer $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-mixer-oss ; : ; }
        install snd-seq /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-seq $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-midi ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-oss ; : ; }
        #
        install snd-rawmidi /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-rawmidi $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-midi ; : ; }
        # Cause optional modules to be loaded above sound card driver modules
        install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-emu10k1-synth ; }
        install snd-via82xx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-via82xx $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq ; }

# Load saa7134-alsa instead of saa7134 (which gets dragged in by it anyway)
        install saa7134 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install saa7134 $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist saa7134-alsa ; : ; }
        # Prevent abnormal drivers from grabbing index 0
        options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dig
        options bt87x index=-2
        options cx88_alsa index=-2
        options saa7134-alsa index=-2
        options snd-atiixp-modem index=-2
        options snd-intel8x0m index=-2
        options snd-via82xx-modem index=-2
        options snd-usb-audio index=-2
        options snd-usb-us122l index=-2
        options snd-usb-usx2y index=-2
        options snd-usb-caiaq index=-2
        # Ubuntu #62691, enable MPU for snd-cmipci
        options snd-cmipci mpu_port=0x330 fm_port=0x388
        # Keep snd-pcsp from being loaded as first soundcard
        options snd-pcsp index=-2
        # Power down HDA controllers after 10 idle seconds
        options snd-hda-intel power_save=10 power_save_controller=N
        So yu can see there's a lot in there. My sound is working OK so I haven't tried to remove any of the obvoius junk.

First step is to determine what driver runs the X-Fi card. Then edit this file manually (as root) and remove the lines that refer to it. I wouldn't actually delete anything - just put a # at the front of any line you want ignored. This turns it into a remark rather than a command. That way if you mess up you can repair it easily.

You can see what sound drivers are loaded by typing lsmod |grep snd in a console.

Once you've edited the alsa-base.conf file, you can restart the sound system without rebooting by entering sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart in a console. You'll have to kill everything using sound for this command to work, like kmix, amarok or other media playback programs.

Please Read Me

Comment

thanks for your help. it is much appreciated

well. my /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf looks like this and I have no idea which part to remove.

Code:
          # autoloader aliases
          install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-0
          install sound-slot-1 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-1
          install sound-slot-2 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-2
          install sound-slot-3 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-3
          install sound-slot-4 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-4
          install sound-slot-5 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-5
          install sound-slot-6 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-6
          install sound-slot-7 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-7

# Cause optional modules to be loaded above generic modules
          install snd /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-ioctl32 ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq ; }
          #
          # Workaround at bug #499695 (reverted in Ubuntu see LP #319505)
          install snd-pcm /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-pcm $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-pcm-oss ; : ; }
          install snd-mixer /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-mixer $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-mixer-oss ; : ; }
          install snd-seq /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-seq $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-midi ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-oss ; : ; }
          #
          install snd-rawmidi /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-rawmidi $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-midi ; : ; }
          # Cause optional modules to be loaded above sound card driver modules
          install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-emu10k1-synth ; }
          install snd-via82xx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-via82xx $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq ; }

# Load saa7134-alsa instead of saa7134 (which gets dragged in by it anyway)
          install saa7134 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install saa7134 $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist saa7134-alsa ; : ; }
          # Prevent abnormal drivers from grabbing index 0
          options bt87x index=-2
          options cx88_alsa index=-2
          options saa7134-alsa index=-2
          options snd-atiixp-modem index=-2
          options snd-intel8x0m index=-2
          options snd-via82xx-modem index=-2
          options snd-usb-audio index=-2
          options snd-usb-us122l index=-2
          options snd-usb-usx2y index=-2
          options snd-usb-caiaq index=-2
          # Ubuntu #62691, enable MPU for snd-cmipci
          options snd-cmipci mpu_port=0x330 fm_port=0x388
          # Keep snd-pcsp from being loaded as first soundcard
          options snd-pcsp index=-2
          # Power down HDA controllers after 10 idle seconds
          options snd-hda-intel power_save=10 power_save_controller=N
          The output of lsmod |grep snd looks more meaningful
          Code:
          snd_hda_codec_realtek  276644 1 
          snd_hda_intel     31264 1 
          snd_hda_codec     89888 2 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel
          snd_ctxfi       97192 0 
          snd_hwdep        9448 1 snd_hda_codec
          snd_pcm_oss      44096 0 
          snd_mixer_oss     18944 1 snd_pcm_oss
          snd_pcm        91912 4 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_ctxfi,snd_pcm_oss
          snd_seq_dummy      3556 0 
          snd_seq_oss      33632 0 
          snd_seq_midi      8320 0 
          snd_rawmidi      27104 1 snd_seq_midi
          snd_seq_midi_event   8448 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
          snd_seq        61312 6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
          snd_timer       25840 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
          snd_seq_device     8500 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
          snd          77576 17 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_ctxfi,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
          soundcore        9088 1 snd
          snd_page_alloc     10960 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
          The ctxfi certainly looks like it would be the soundcard I want to disable. But what should I do with alsa-base.conf. I cannot decipher anything in that file.

Comment

Well, my problem is I have a lot of linux time but very little ubuntu/debian time!

I would start by removing the driver from the command line to see if it fixes your sitch...

sudo modprobe -r snd_ctxfi

Then test your sound. It may result in no sound for those programs causing you trouble.

The other fix should be edit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and add blacklist snd_ctxfi

Please Read Me

Comment

thank your this great tip oshunluvr.
              I did as you told me and now almost everything works great. What still bothers me, though, is the extremely high noise level. When I crank up the mixer levels and my speakers to anything above medium volume, I get a lot of white noise. This was not the case before and is definitely not a hardware defect.

Anyway. The crucial stuff works fine now, thanks to your help. I will mark this thread as solved.

regards

Kane

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
                Well, my problem is I have a lot of linux time but very little ubuntu/debian time!
                From the quality of the help you offered here I'd say your "problem" is a minor one, if it exist at all! You are continuing here the fine help you offered in the PCLinuxOS forum, and it is MUCH appreciated! 8)
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Re: [solved] Creative X-Fi and HDA Intel ALC888

Glad I helped - there are a lot of models of hda_intel audio cards and they have issues that can USUALLY be resolved by using the correct options.

Check out this post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1153133 and see if it helps.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                  X