X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No sound on HDMI

Hallo:

I've bought a laptop HP Pavillion DV6 2026es.

I'm trying to connect it to the TV with HDMI, but the sound is not transmitted.

This is what I have:
    root@ubuntu:~# cat /proc/asound/cards
    0 [SB ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
    HDA ATI SB at 0xf2400000 irq 16
    1 [HDMI ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
    HDA ATI HDMI at 0xf2310000 irq 31

I'm trying it with Kubuntu 9.04.

Can any tell me what do I have to do for transmitting sound over HDMI?

Thanks

Re: No sound on HDMI

Have you tried changing the default audio output in System Settings/Multimedia? It'd be the first place I'd look.

Comment

YES i've changed and put in first place, but nothing..

Comment

I have this issue too with HDMI output from my ATI card.

This is a problem belonging to Kubuntu and/or KDE, because back when I still used Ubuntu, that's something 3 weeks ago HDMI output worked like champ.

Comment

Ditto for me, a Dell Studio 1557 with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 graphics card. I get a fine picture on my TV from the HDMI output, but no sound. My KMix gui window shows a tab for "HDA ATI HDMI" but the only option is Mute and there is no sound whether it's checked or not.

My /proc/asound/cards shows:
          0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
          HDA Intel at 0xf1000000 irq 22
          1 [HDMI ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
          HDA ATI HDMI at 0xcfeec000 irq 17

Any hints as to where I can go on this to get my TV sound working?

Comment

A little more information. When I go into System Settings/Multimedia, I show two devices for HDA ATI HDMI, one of which continues "(HDMI Audio Output)" and the other continues with "(ATI HDMI)".

Both of these devices play through the TV speakers over the HDMI cable when I click the "Test" button. But I can't get any applications, like VLC player or Flash output through Firefox, to go through the TV speakers. Sound comes from the laptop speakers instead.

Am I missing something really basic?

Comment

I want to know how you guys think you can get sound from a graphics chip. In my own system with BFG Tech GeForce GTX 285 there is no visible connection between the onboard sound chip and the graphics card. If it is possible to tie output from the sound chip into the HDMI cable then I really want to know how so I can do it too.

Edit:
              Nvidia GeForce GT 220 + Ubuntu 9.10 = No audio over HDMI? - nV News Forums: Related, and interesting reading. You guys ought to read it too.
              Welcome newbies!
              Verify the ISO
              Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Finally I've changed to opensue 11.2.
                Sound works fine. And, after installing ATI drivers, if I put hdmi as first device, HDMI sound works fine.

Comment

Working...
                X