This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound missing after rash of updates

Today there were well over 100 updates for karmic. I applied them all, and am now having to boot up using recovery mode. So far, everything seems to be work except the sound. All sound drivers listed fail the test -- they are:

1. HDA NVidia (ALC888 Analog)
    2. HDA NVidia (ALC888 Digital), and
    3. PulseAudio

Also, the KMix sound controls won't start, and there is no KMix icon in the system tray.

Any idea how to get the sound back?

Kubuntu 9.10 \n \l
    Linux kernel 2.6.31-19-generic #56
    KDE version 4.4.00 (KDE 4.4.0)

~George
    Linux — leaping tall "Bill-dings" in a single bound!
    Linux user #347469

Re: Sound missing after rash of updates

Kmix won't start for me either. I have no sound. Gives no clues at command line either, just fails. If I run it from gdb:

Code:
    user@localhost:~$ gdb kmix
    GNU gdb (GDB) 7.0-ubuntu
    Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <[url]http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>[/url]
    This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
    There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. Type "show copying"
    and "show warranty" for details.
    This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
    For bug reporting instructions, please see:
    <[url]http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>[/url]...
    Reading symbols from /usr/bin/kmix...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
    (gdb) run
    Starting program: /usr/bin/kmix
    [Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
    Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
    kmix(2552)/kdeui (KNotification) KStatusNotifierItemDBus::KStatusNotifierItemDBus: service is "org.freedesktop.StatusNotifierItem-2552-1"
    kmix(2552)/kdeui (KNotification) KStatusNotifierItemPrivate::registerToDaemon: Registering a client interface to the KStatusNotifierWatcher

Program exited normally.
    (gdb) continue
    The program is not being run.
    (gdb) bt
    No stack.
    (gdb)
    When kmix crashes I'm left with the kmix icon in my system tray and kmix appears to work after I quit gdb but I still have no sound.

Oh wait. Checking kmix now, from my tray, I see that all the channels have been muted and zeroed and doing the obvious puts things back to normal.

Comment

I finally managed to start kmix also by typing "sudo kmix" in a terminal. The volume was up for everything; nothing was muted. However, I get error messages from kde and phonon? that none of my drivers work. They were working before the updates, though.

When I try to start with the latest 2.6.31-19 linux kernel, all I get is an array of colored squares, and I cannot get the login screen. Using recovery mode for that kernel, I can login at a command prompt, and I can get the desktop, icons, software, and just about everything but the sound.

I'm wondering why so many updates were churned out so quickly, and maybe there are bugs that still need to be worked out. Hopefully, someone who knows the ins and outs of detecting sound drivers will have experienced the same bug and will report it. Right now, I don't what else to try. I really hate to reinstall everything.
      ~George
      Linux user #347469

Comment

I had the same issue and reverted to an earlier kernel, 2.6.31-9-rt I think. Fixed it for me.
        "No theory, no ready-made system, no book that has ever been written will save the world. I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker." - Mikhail Bakunin

Comment

Strange things!

1) I found I had to add myself to the audio group to get sound. Restarted, and there it was -- sound was back again!

2) A couple of updates appeared in software management. I got a message that I didn't have the privileges to do this. Anyway, I simply typed "sudo kpackagekit" in a terminal, the gui came up, and I was able to download the updates.

3) If I try to update the desktop activity settings (wallpaper & such), I am presented with just a black screen and I have to press alt+f2 and type "logout" to select logout and log back in.

Keep in mind, I am still having to enter karmic via the recovery mode, and login via a command prompt. I am wondering how long this "fix" will work.
          ~George
          Linux user #347469

Comment

What you've described here and above is exactly what I experienced. I should have tried booting a different kernel but didn't. Instead I did a complete Karmic install, updated everything and then updated to KDE 4.4.

After the update at least I had a functioning system but I found that the soundcore module isn't in the latest kernel. Booting with 2.6.31-19-generic enabled KDE to recognise my sound card but I could only get Kmix to start using sudo as described in this thread. Now I have a situation where sound will play for approximately five seconds and then fade away.

I've tried to check to see if my user account is a member of the sound group but User Management is also broken. Something about no interface to KCModule. I'm looking into that now.

I've definitely learnt my lesson here. There is no way I'll be upgrading Kubuntu or KDE as the updates become available in the future. I'll sit on my hands for a month and resist the urge to have the latest and greatest. I'm learning but I'd rather be using.

Comment

Originally posted by lugs
              I've tried to check to see if my user account is a member of the sound group but User Management is also broken. Something about no interface to KCModule. I'm looking into that now.
              You can check from the CLI. Open a console and type:
              Code:
              groups
              You will be shown all the groups your user is a member of. For your information, there is no 'sound' group for my user, and sound here works just fine - 2.6.31-19 kernel, KDE 4.4.0.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks Snowhog. Found your info on the User Management broken thread. Have added myself to the audio group, rebooted and confirmed I'm a member of the audio group.

Unfortunately the fading volume issue persists.

Comment

Getting closer. I have sound but no mic.

To get this close I've:

1. Removed all Pulseaudio packages.

2. Booted using the 2.6.31-19 kernel.

3. Followed instructions at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/So...gSoundProblems

It was the edit of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and the subsequent reload of Alsa that made sound work.

I've tried every option I can see in Kmix and Skype Sound Devices but no luck.

Comment

Originally posted by personman
                    I had the same issue and reverted to an earlier kernel, 2.6.31-9-rt I think. Fixed it for me.
                    For me sound worked reliably using kernel 2.6.31-14 instead of the latest one.

Now running 2.6.31-20 and after installing Gnome alsamixer sound is working on the latest kernel.

Comment

I'm still struggling with this. After running this ALSA upgrade script I'm no better off.

I get audio playback from the rear jack but the mic doesn't work.

When using the front mic jack Skype automatically adjusts the Capture level but I don't get any audio so I can't tell if the mic is working through the front.

Posted more on the Ubuntu forums here.

Comment

I totally lost sound on my ubuntu install with an ALC888 audio card. However, this one with AD1988 still works fine.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                        X