This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hauppage USB TV tuner problem

OK, So I used to use this in ubuntu 9.04, but so far I am not having any luck getting this to work in 9.10 Kubuntu.

The Wiki for LinuxTV says that this is supported out of the box in 9.10, but I get nothing when I plug it in (using Kaffiene which I used before to get it to work) I tried to install the steps listed in the Linux TV Wiki but I get an error code back.........

Here is the Wiki for LinuxTV that says it should work out of the box now... Anybody else use this and is having problems with it?

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.ph...WinTV-HVR-950Q

Re: Hauppage USB TV tuner problem

The drivers are present on a Kubuntu 9.10 install
    jerry@Sonyvgnfw140e:~$ locate xc5000
    /lib/firmware/dvb-fe-xc5000-1.6.114.fw
    /lib/modules/2.6.31-15-generic/kernel/drivers/media/common/tuners/xc5000.ko
    /lib/modules/2.6.31-16-generic/kernel/drivers/media/common/tuners/xc5000.ko
    /lib/modules/2.6.31-17-generic/kernel/drivers/media/common/tuners/xc5000.ko
    /usr/share/doc/linux-firmware/licenses/xc5000
    /usr/share/doc/linux-firmware/licenses/xc5000/LICENCE.xc5000
    /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-17-generic/include/config/media/tuner/xc5000.h
    jerry@Sonyvgnfw140e:~$
    but the xc5000.ko module is probably not loaded. Your URL reference suggests that when you run the "driver" you should see channels. ("After you plug-in the device on a USB 2.0 port (it won't work with a USB 1.1) and use the driver for the first time (eg, by scanning channels), you may see something like this on dmesg: ") There are several TV gui's in the repository: kdetv, mythtv, tvtime, etc... Use the one that works for you and you like the most.

I own the previous version of that device, the 950. My problem with it was that it worked fine for about 10 to 15 minutes, then it started locking up and eventually gave only a static noise screen. The problem was heat. Within 10 or 15 minutes it got so hot I couldn't touch it. I went through a series of email exchanges with one of their support staff, tried several of their suggestions and even tested one of their yet to be released driver + GUI combo, but nothing stopped the device from over-heating. It's gathering dust on the shelf behind me.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek

The drivers are present on a Kubuntu 9.10 install
      jerry@Sonyvgnfw140e:~$ locate xc5000
      /lib/firmware/dvb-fe-xc5000-1.6.114.fw
      /lib/modules/2.6.31-15-generic/kernel/drivers/media/common/tuners/xc5000.ko
      /lib/modules/2.6.31-16-generic/kernel/drivers/media/common/tuners/xc5000.ko
      /lib/modules/2.6.31-17-generic/kernel/drivers/media/common/tuners/xc5000.ko
      /usr/share/doc/linux-firmware/licenses/xc5000
      /usr/share/doc/linux-firmware/licenses/xc5000/LICENCE.xc5000
      /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-17-generic/include/config/media/tuner/xc5000.h
      jerry@Sonyvgnfw140e:~$
      but the xc5000.ko module is probably not loaded. Your URL reference suggests that when you run the "driver" you should see channels. ("After you plug-in the device on a USB 2.0 port (it won't work with a USB 1.1) and use the driver for the first time (eg, by scanning channels), you may see something like this on dmesg: ") There are several TV gui's in the repository: kdetv, mythtv, tvtime, etc... Use the one that works for you and you like the most.

I own the previous version of that device, the 950. My problem with it was that it worked fine for about 10 to 15 minutes, then it started locking up and eventually gave only a static noise screen. The problem was heat. Within 10 or 15 minutes it got so hot I couldn't touch it. I went through a series of email exchanges with one of their support staff, tried several of their suggestions and even tested one of their yet to be released driver + GUI combo, but nothing stopped the device from over-heating. It's gathering dust on the shelf behind me.

OK, this is going to sound like a really, really dumb question, but how do I run the drivers?

Comment

The only dumb question is the one not asked!

There are several TV gui's in the repository: kdetv, mythtv, tvtime, etc... Use the one that works for you and you like the most.
        Assuming you have synaptic installed find it in the K --> System --> Synaptic menu option. Click on it. Enter your account password. In the search box enter "tv" (without the quotes). Install one or more of the GUI interfaces to the linux video port, /dev/video0. Try them all and use the one you like the most. Uninstall the others.

If you don't have synaptic installed then open a Konsole and issue

sudo apt-get install synaptic

enter your password when asked, and ansyer "y" to any questions.
        When it is done close the Konsole app and look for synaptic in the menu as indicated above.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Ok, thank you very much GG, I will give it a shot... I used Kaffeine before but for some reason it won't work in that one anymore... I have been hearing good things about Klear, so maybe that is the way to go. TVtime won't work in the USA it seems since the digital switch, so I have to be able to scan for channels in the atsc mode which was pretty easy in Kaffeine in 9.04....

I am determined if nothing else..

Comment

VLC from the medibuntu repository has a "capture device" option, which includes "Video for Linux 2" (v4l2).

VLC is a swiss army knife of media manipulation. It can convert between codecs, play most codecs (audio and video) play dvd's, play network streams, etc.... VERY versatile.

Comment

Working...
            X