X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ SOLVED ] Sound stopped working- ATIIXP 64bit karmic

Hello all,

First off i have spent some time poking around for solutions over the last week or so but no luck yet. I have removed and reinstalled the drivers still with no luck. I did this whilst going through the sound guide in the ubuntu forums.

I know sound works in general on this laptop, because at first if performed fine. It actually performed TOO well, and was quite louder that expected... Since i carry this while on the job I muted it for a few days. During which I did a few updates, not sure what though as I dont know the exact time or update. I did fully patch after installation, which was maybe two weeks ago.

Yesterday, I installed flash-nonfree and then had a "duh" moment when I went to view , and noticed sound was still muted. So i unmuted, and then realised I have an issue.

Output of sudo lspci -v

Code:
    00:14.5 Multimedia audio controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Gateway 2000 Device 0506                            
        Flags: bus master, 66MHz, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 17                 
        Memory at c0503400 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]                  
        Capabilities: [40] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit- Queue=0/0 Enable-      
        Kernel driver in use: ATI IXP AC97 controller                       
        Kernel modules: snd-atiixp
    For reference, I am comfortable with linux but i know little/nothing about sound in linux. I also work in the IT field and This machine is not a neccesity , so I am very willing to break things to figure this out as my curiousity is getting the best of me :-)

I have searched the forums , but if anyone has any valid links please dont hesitate i am not perfect and may have missed something !! Thanks in advance to all ,

Re: Sound stopped working- ATIIXP 64bit karmic

some times updates will remute the PCM chanell and I think thats what flash pipes thrugh so check the mixer setings and see if some of the chanels are muted.

click the speeker icon in the systemtray click mixer.....drag the window biger and click setings>configure chanels .......and make shure thare all checked .....now ajust as neaded.

VINNY

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Re: Sound stopped working- ATIIXP 64bit karmic

Hello again, For anyone else who may search and find this post... I followed these directions ...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

Its a sound troubleshooting walkthrough . As you may have guessed by now I have resolved my issue... Not sure how, After I posted I did not update, did not remove or add anything , I merely poked around the interweb (mistyped on purpose) briefly then went to visit family. I come home tonight, start up the laptop and I hear the logoni sounds for KDE. SUCESS!!!! Even though I DID restart a few times after I made my last changes , this proves that I fixed whatever Issue I had by following the Above linked directions.

Thank you vinnywirght , it was not a volume issue but I appreciate the input as you were the only person to respond!!!

It is my best guess that an update affected some settings in some way (obviously..) and therefore , as the sound guide I linked to suggested, trying to remove the sound drivers with the "--purge" option reset my sound configuration to default.

For reference, As I went through the guide, my system recognized my hardware PERFECTLY, all drivers were installed AND in use, and I did not "fail" at any point in the walk through. It DID take more than one restart to reap the benefits.... cant explain other than possible user error and not setting volume after resetting sound drivers. I am using snd-atiixp , on a 64 bit gateway laptop.

This thread is solved, can be marked as so ; and can be thusly ignored. Thanks to all who paid it any mind !!!

Comment

Working...
      X