This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem: Dell Studio 14z Loud Popping on Halt in Kubuntu 9.10 i386

I recently purchased a Dell Studio 14z and installed Kubuntu 9.10 i386 on it. Since the first time I shut down the computer, the speakers have made a loud popping noise along with the screen's backlight flashing brightly right before system halt. I have installed the latest Nvidia drivers available in the proprietary drivers list and the sound works fine while the laptop is on. Can anyone help me fix the popping and flashing on shutdown?

Thanks,
    kubuntoid

Here is the laptop's hardware:
    Dell Studio 14z (Studio 1440):
    - Intel Core 2 Duo T6600, 2.2GHz, 800Mhz, 2M L2 Cache
    - 14.0 HD+ TL LED Display w/Cam (900p screen res)
    - NVIDIA MCP79MX (GeForce 9400M G)
    - Dell Wireless 1397 802.11g Half Mini Card (compiled 32-bit broadcom hybrid drivers myself)
    - Integrated High Definition Audio 2.2 (no idea what this is exactly)

Re: Problem: Dell Studio 14z Loud Popping on Halt in Kubuntu 9.10 i386

I seem to have the same issue. Randomly at shutdown the PC emits a series of sharp beeps ( similar to beeps at POST with HDD or RAM errors) until it shuts down. Unfortunately no disco lights, , like with the OP. However no problems with the PC when restarted, so not really only a minor annoyance but will have peace of mind to know the problem. BTW mine's a home built PC with core duo processor, nvidia 8800 gt gpu, some gigabyte board with Integrated 7.1 High Definition Audio and wired mouse and keyboard.

Comment

Re: Problem: Dell Studio 14z Loud Popping on Halt in Kubuntu 9.10 i386

This might help: Re: LOUD Click on system start [SOLVED]
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
      X