This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USB drive doesn't automount or mount when plugged in

The drive mounted automagically on 8.04 the first time. I do have GPartEd, which I used Sunday to set up the dual-boot system, and while I was doing that GPartEd had no trouble finding the USB drive.
    Kubuntu #19517 (but of course I am not a number, I am a free man!)

Comment

OK, I disconnected the USB drive from its power source, then reconnected it, with the USB cord plugged in the whole time, and now the device notifier pops up and finds it. I guess I should have thought to try that before, all I did in the past was unplug the USB cable and plug it back in.

So at least for now I'm in decent shape, I can get to my music. And since it appears Last.fm is now charging for basic service, I really need it.

Thanks again for all your research and assistance! I don't know that the problem is solved, but I've got a work-around for now...

Comment

Originally posted by cdupree
        OK, I disconnected the USB drive from its power source, then reconnected it, with the USB cord plugged in the whole time, and now the device notifier pops up and finds it.
        As Sherkock Holmes might observe: "Interesting indeed!"
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog, i really appreciate all your efforts on my behalf! It seems that I have a method of getting the thing to work, dorky though it be. How about if I leave this thread open for a couple days and see what happens with my setup? Maybe I'll see a pattern that will lead to a solution or a bug report or whatever. Does that make sense?

Thanks again, you're the best!

Comment

My feeling is that the issue is with the USB HD itself - how it's constructed -- internally, and with it's controller software it came with. That is of course, just a 'feeling' and without any concrete evidence.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

do you have another USB drive to test with , i have an Usb card reader that does the same thing in my case its a bad connection to the usb port. since my problem is os indepenent and also don't depend on a certian port for the issue. also all other usb devices (drives for this one) work perfectly.
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                My feeling is that the issue is with the USB HD itself - how it's constructed -- internally, and with it's controller software it came with. That is of course, just a 'feeling' and without any concrete evidence.
                I tend to agrey with Snowhog hear.

it seams as though a lot of these large externall HD's come with "green" software preinstalled that put's the drive to sleep after a pereod of inactivity and then sence the software is for windows or mac linux has no way of waking it up........exept for as you discoverd kiling it's power and repowereing it up.

I think I read on the specks for one of these type drives (not you'rs cose I couldent find it) that the feture could be set for the amount of time till sleep or turned off ......of corse from windows.

so you may want to check up on that

VINNY

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

First, many thanks to everyone who's taken time to comment and suggest things, I really appreciate it!

Second, my problem is definitely OS-dependent, I've tested that. And I also tend to agree that the "green" software could easily be the culprit.

However, in the end we may never know, because once I did the power-off/on trick the first time, the disk is being recognized now automatically, even when I restart. Something learned how to do the appropriate startup operations, I guess...

So I dunno, does this count as Solved or not?

- ced

Comment

Originally posted by cdupree
                    However, in the end we may never know, because once I did the power-off/on trick the first time, the disk is being recognized now automatically, even when I restart. Something learned how to do the appropriate startup operations, I guess...
                    So I dunno, does this count as Solved or not?
                    - ced
                    Guess you will find out in due time if the issues resurfaces...
                    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
                    X