This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Karmic screen resolution

HP Pavilion laptop with 17" screen, native resolution 1680x1050. NVidia 8600 video.

NVidia driver 190.53

Max resolution with the NVidia control or KDE is 1440x900, while under Windows it's the correct 1680x1050.

I've removed and reinstalled and run all the configuration programs and it kicks back to the 1440x900 every time.

There must be a fix...

Re: Kubuntu Karmic screen resolution

run
    kdesudo nvidia-settings

be sure to save your setting to your xorg.conf or it won't becomre persistant...

if this is something you tired , what else have you tired other then reinstalling stuff.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Alas, that was among the first things I tried.

Then I completely removed all NVidia assets and reinstalled with the latest NVidia driver.

I've manually adjusted the xorg.conf file and farkled the system totally (fortunately could overwrite with the safety copy -- I'm new at this, not stupid!) and recovered.

For some reason I can run Windows at 1680x1050, the screen's native resolution, but Linux persists in seeing only the 1440x900 resolution.

The xorg.conf shows NVidia settings as auto, not specific resolutions though it does list color depth at 24 which is fine.

I am seriously trying to convert over to full-time Linux use on this machine during these Xmas holidays. I think I have all my professional software either running under VBox or directly. But I don't want to give away that much screen real estate. I haven't even tried the HDTV hookup yet...

Comment

Originally posted by Tietax

I've manually adjusted the xorg.conf file
        That may be the problem ...

From the Kubuntu desktop, you should be able to do Alt-F2 "kdesudo nvidia-settings". If so, then click the "X Server Display Configuration" tab. Set the resolution as you want it. Do not set the refresh rate -- leave it on "Auto". Click the "Save to X Configuration File" button in the lower right of the panel to save it.

Restart X and you should see your default screen resolutions.

Comment

Done this. I searched and found your notes about this, very well thought out and very clear by the way. However, on this machine running kdesudo nvidia-settings gives me AUO 1440x900. Well, yeah, I know.

Resolution does not give a better setting, certainly not the native 1680x1050 that the screen does under Windoze. Says AUTO, 1440x900, down from there.

Advanced gives a panning setting, but that only oversizes the screen, not reset the resolution.

I may begin tearing out what remains of my hair!

There has got to be an answer. I refuse to believe the NVidia Windows driver can do it and the NVidia Linux driver can't.

Comment

lets be fair, now there i am sure there is a bunch that the windows nvidia driver can do that the linux driver can't. but it not seeing you res is a weird issue.

have you tried changing it in system settings-> display ? or the option is also not there..
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Just downloaded the new NVidia 190 files -- same-same as before.

Linux-x86_64
              NVIDIA Driver Version 190.53

X Server Display Configuration still gives me AUO 1440x900, and there are no options on the resolution (set to Auto) better than Auto followed by 1440x900 and less.

Tres bizarre.

I wouldn't have thought it was unfixable but damned if I can find a fix!

The System Settings / display still maxes out at 1440x900 but shows a refresh of 50Hz instead of the NVidia configuration utility 60Hz.

Sigh.

Comment

Working...
              X