Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATI 4890 Just will not work right for me slugish and Yuck back to windows?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATI 4890 Just will not work right for me slugish and Yuck back to windows?

I hope not if you guys can help me solve my issue.

We tried the following to get the 4890 to work but no luck I would always get shuttering and opengl applications would get 3-4 times less FPS then I could get with my old 9800GX2 card that worked right out of the box. I get shuttering and

Distros:
    Ubuntu 9.10 Gnome
    Kubuntu 9.10 KDE
    Kubuntu 9.4 KDE

Drivers:
    ati site
    redeonghd

I get the same result and as you can see I even formated and installed new distro and same issues. The card works fine as in hardware I tested in Windows Vista, XP and 7 and flawless there. I really want to use linux as a full time machine with full support with my video card since I have no money to afford a nvidia for it. I really hope you can help so I can get this baby working.

Thanks,
    Kane

Re: ATI 4890 Just will not work right for me slugish and Yuck back to windows?

Did you install the ATI driver through the Hardware Driver Update and using the command "aticonfig --initial" or the command "aticonfig" doesn't help?

Here is a howto, which a respondent to your Ubuntu forum post 10 hours ago replied:

Re: ATI 4890 Just will not work right for me slugish and slow and Yuck back to window

Well, that is interesting.

I was having an issue, with my 4870, where I would install the Cat 9.11 from ATi but , after restarting, the drivers didn't initialise properly (even though I ran aticonfig --initial)....OpenGL was broken, and dragging and windows would display very slow and choppy.

I reinstalled the Catalyst driver and went to /usr/bin/ and ran aticonfig --initial. Since then, it works as it should.

Could you try this?

r2rX
    Last edited by r2rX; 7 Hours Ago at 07:53 AM..
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Re: ATI 4890 Just will not work right for me slugish and Yuck back to windows?

for my ati 4830HD i use the driver from the ati site (its way newer then the "restriced" one) every thing works good for me providing i use there tool to edit my settings (such as res or multi monitor) if you search this forum there are several posts by me about using the ati driver.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
      X