This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No 1900x1200 resolution available with Nvidia in Karmic

I have a Samsung SyncMaster T240 installed with Karmic. My graphics card is an Nvidia GEForce FX 5200 (Where do they go to get these names...?) There are at least three problems with this, of which the second one following is the most annoying.

(1) When the system comes up, the resolution of the monitor is not set right. The screen is covered with flickers and is compressed-looking, the background image not reaching the top or bottom of the physical screen. Each time, I have to go into System Settings > Display. As soon as I click on that, the screen shakes itself off (can't think of a better way of describing what I see) and then goes into 1600x1024 at 51.0Hz. My background image then fills the screen. Any way of making this happen automatically?

(2) Occasionally, at shutdown, I get a message telling me the screen is not set to the optimal mode 1900x1200 at 60Hz. But, in both System Preferences > Display and the Nvidia settings, the maximum resolution available is 1600x1024. So what gives?

What is "optimal"? Actually, I probably couldn't see to read the characters at 1900x1200. And should this be at 60 or 51HZ? I am in France, where wall current is supposedly 50Hz, not quite 51 and certainl not 60!

I dont know if it is relevant, but my /etc/X11/xorg.conf looks like this:

$ cat xorg.conf

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    DefaultDepth 24
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load "glx"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Default Device"
    Driver "nvidia"
    Option "NoLogo" "True"
    EndSection

I admit to not knowing what this file is for.

The Nvidia part of "lspci -v" looks like this:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (rev a1)
    Subsystem: nVidia Corporation Device 01b9
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 248, IRQ 16
    Memory at fd000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
    Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
    [virtual] Expansion ROM at fea00000 [disabled] [size=128K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel driver in use: nvidia
    Kernel modules: nvidia, nvidiafb

Here we have a third possible frequency, 66Hz. Goody!

(3) This screen has three possible inputs -- analog, digital and hdmi. Occasionally, it goes blank and loses the input and I have to wait for up to several minutes for it to cycle thru the 3 and finally find the correct one (digital).
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Re: No 1900x1200 resolution available with Nvidia in Karmic

There might be some help for you in this:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107406.0

I personally would start with a new installation of the driver.

You should first use the "nvidia-xconfig" utility to write a new xorg.conf file. Then, restart X and use "nvidia-settings" to set the resolution (I don't guarantee that FX5200 can do your 1900x1200). Leave the refresh rate set to "Auto". Then use the "Save to X Configuration File" button to save the new settings.

Afterwards you will need to restart the X server, or logout and log back in, to observe the default resolution.

Comment

One remark, the refresh frequency of your screen has nothing to do with the frequency of your power supply so don't worry.

Comment

I believe that the optimum/native resolution of that monitor is 1920x1200

Comment

At least one other person seemed to have problems with that specific monitor though
          http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1161106

Comment

Working...
          X