This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xorg error after update

I am getting the following pop up error message it does no make it to kdm.

the following error was encountered
    you may need to update configuration to solve this
    Ubuntu is running low graphics
    (EE) open /dev/fbo
    no such file or directory

It then take you to another pop up with some options to select

run ubuntu in low-graphics mode for just one session
    reconfigure graphics
    troubleshoot error
    exit to console

I tried them all
    run ubuntu in low-graphics - it kicks to console login
    reconfigure graphics - gives additional options none work
    troubleshoot the error - gives additional options only view xorg log works
    exit to console - works

using startx from the console works fine no errors

Have no idea if this is a kubuntu bug or a xorg bug. Cannot locate anything in any logs that suggest a problem.

Did X -configure and tried to test the xorg file but got a black screen, or course ctrl-alt-backspace did not work.

Anyone else run into this.

Re: Xorg error after update

did yo try deleting your Xorg.conf

as far as i know 9.10 does not require xorg.conf unless you want to go through and do everything manually

Comment

yes I have the same querk .....after a kernel update to the 2.6.31-16-generic kernel.

it may be related to this.
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3108539.0

I managed to get in after a few atemps and editing the boot line at the grub menu removing quiet splash and adding init 3

wether it was just a coinsidens or editing the line worked I'm still not shure?

if the update DD was talking about dose work you can try frome the console

Code:
      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      and see if your troubles go away

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks, have some time to get back on this. Will report back.

Comment

A long as other people are experiencing the same thing a patch will be out soon. Just use startx (startx starts your desktop) from the command line until there is a patch, or manually edit failsafe-x.conf. Now that the cause is known it will be patched soon. I though it was something with the automated start up process with the login manager as startx worked fine without errors. I do not like the new way xorg works. After 10+ years of making my own xorg.conf. I do not like losing control. Linux is getting to much like windblows, relying on a gui rather than a cli. Fortunately I use Gentoo, but my GF and her niece us Kubuntu on their laptops which were the two I had problems with.

By the way Newsboys6 to better explain to you since you apparently did not understand my post. I stated that I also tried an xorg.conf, with no results. Yet startx worked fine. Which says that there was no problem with the settings xorg was coming up with. Though it no longer likes using an xorg.conf. There was something wrong in the process of starting up the login manager, evidenced by the fact that startx worked without errors.

Buy using X -configure you can automatically produce an xorg.conf, check the settings make adjustments if necessary, then use X -config /root/xorg.conf.new to test it out without actually putting it in /etc/X11, it is automatically place in your root directory. Apparently you did not understand the command X -configure and startx.

Sinojos

Comment

I couldent even get a console login nothing in the choises the error gave would work..... for now I'm just using gdm (weuu it's ugley....?the one for jaunty was butifull?? ) and no more error.

at least untill I get bold/bord enuff to do doctordruidphd's fix.

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

Today's update includes a fixed version of gdm, that should solve this problem.
              If it doesn't, see:
              http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...0238#msg210238
              We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd
                Today's update includes a fixed version of gdm, that should solve this problem.
                If it doesn't, see:
                http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...0238#msg210238
                strangley enuff I havent receved that update yet as of 9:55 PM EST but still doing my vinny@desktop:~$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                mantra evry now and then

acualey I'm bord enuff now.......... let's try your workaround now.....

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

AAAA well that did it for me eneyway doctordruidphd .............the eddit of the /etc/init/failsafe-x.conf file that is...................thank you varey mutch 8)

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                  X