This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hp LaserJet 1000 appears fine in hplip-gui, print jobs don't print

The automatic upgrade from 8.10 to 9.04 ambushed me a couple of months ago and got onto my computer without my expecting it. It destroyed much of the functionality that I'd gained with 8.10 which I never got back completely. The system went unstable on me last week so I was forced to scrub and do a completely fresh install. I chose to install 9.10 expecting it to be more stable than 9.04 and that appears to be the case. However, I cannot get my hp LaserJet 1000 to print.

I have tried several different methods to get it configured. Several show the printer and CUPS reports the print jobs accepted, processed, and completed but the printer doesn't flicker. Unplugging the printer from the USB port causes it to "disappear" and plugging it back in causes it to "reappear" but print jobs simply don't go through.

my /etc/init.d/cups file reads as follows:

#! /bin/sh
    ### BEGIN INIT INFO
    # Provides: cups
    # Required-Start: $syslog
    # Required-Stop: $syslog
    # Should-Start: $network avahi
    # Should-Stop: $network
    # X-Start-Before: samba
    # X-Stop-After: samba
    # Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
    # Default-Stop: 1
    # Short-Description: CUPS Printing spooler and server
    ### END INIT INFO

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
    DAEMON=/usr/sbin/cupsd
    NAME=cupsd
    PIDFILE=/var/run/cups/$NAME.pid
    DESC="Common Unix Printing System"

unset TMPDIR

test -x $DAEMON || exit 0

mkdir -p /var/run/cups/certs

if [ -r /etc/default/cups ]; then
    . /etc/default/cups
    fi

. /lib/lsb/init-functions

# Get the timezone set.
    if [ -z "$TZ" -a -e /etc/timezone ]; then
    TZ=`cat /etc/timezone`
    export TZ
    fi

restart_xprint() {
    if [ -n "$success" ] && [ -x /etc/init.d/xprint ]; then
    invoke-rc.d xprint force-reload || true
    fi
    }

coldplug_usb_printers() {
    if type udevadm > /dev/null 2>&1 && [ -x /lib/udev/udev-configure-printer ]; then
    for printer in `udevadm trigger --verbose --dry-run --subsystem-match=usb \
    --attr-match=bInterfaceClass=07 --attr-match=bInterfaceSubClass=01 2>/dev/null || true; \
    udevadm trigger --verbose --dry-run --subsystem-match=usb
    --sysname-match='lp[0-9]*' 2>/dev/null || true`; do
    /lib/udev/udev-configure-printer add "${printer#/sys}"
    done
    fi
    }

case "$1" in
    start)
    log_begin_msg "Starting $DESC: $NAME"
    chown root:lpadmin /usr/share/ppd/custom 2>/dev/null || true
    chmod 3775 /usr/share/ppd/custom 2>/dev/null || true

mkdir -p `dirname "$PIDFILE"`
    if [ "$LOAD_LP_MODULE" = "yes" -a -f /usr/lib/cups/backend/parallel \
    -a -f /proc/devices -a -f /proc/modules -a -x /sbin/modprobe ]; then
    modprobe -q -b lp || true
    modprobe -q -b ppdev || true
    fi

start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --oknodo --pidfile "$PIDFILE" --exec $DAEMON && success=1

coldplug_usb_printers
    log_end_msg $?
    restart_xprint
    ;;
    stop)
    log_begin_msg "Stopping $DESC: $NAME"
    start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --retry 5 --oknodo --pidfile $PIDFILE --name $NAME && success=1
    log_end_msg $?
    restart_xprint
    ;;
    reload|force-reload)
    log_begin_msg "Reloading $DESC: $NAME"
    start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --pidfile $PIDFILE --name $NAME --signal 1 && success=1
    log_end_msg $?
    restart_xprint
    ;;
    restart)
    log_begin_msg "Restarting $DESC: $NAME"
    if start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --retry 5 --oknodo --pidfile $PIDFILE --name $NAME; then
    start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile "$PIDFILE" --exec $DAEMON && success=1
    fi
    log_end_msg $?
    restart_xprint
    ;;
    status)
    echo -n "Status of $DESC: "
    if [ ! -r "$PIDFILE" ]; then
    echo "$NAME is not running."
    exit 3
    fi
    if read pid < "$PIDFILE" && ps -p "$pid" > /dev/null 2>&1; then
    echo "$NAME is running."
    exit 0
    else
    echo "$NAME is not running but $PIDFILE exists."
    exit 1
    fi
    ;;
    *)
    N=/etc/init.d/${0##*/}
    echo "Usage: $N {start|stop|restart|force-reload|status}" >&2
    exit 1
    ;;
    esac

exit 0

=======

The file /etc/cups/printers.conf shows the following after installing the printer using hplip-gui.

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.4.1
    # Written by cupsd on 2009-12-03 14:13
    <DefaultPrinter hp_LaserJet_1000>
    Info LaserJet 1000 on Reusser16 USB
    DeviceURI hp:/usb/hp_LaserJet_1000?serial=0
    State Idle
    StateTime 1259874646
    Type 8425484
    Filter application/vnd.cups-raw 0 -
    Filter application/vnd.cups-postscript 100 foomatic-rip
    Filter application/vnd.cups-pdf 0 foomatic-rip
    Accepting Yes
    Shared No
    JobSheets none none
    QuotaPeriod 0
    PageLimit 0
    KLimit 0
    OpPolicy default
    ErrorPolicy retry-job
    </Printer>

I'm confused. I miss my ability to right click and get a "open with...as root" from 8.10. I cannot consistently use 'su' or sudo' or 'kdesudo' because filepaths and filenames don't seem at all consistent to someone who grew up in CPM DOS, NetWare and Windows.

If anyone has a surefire process to get LaserJet 1000 printer working in Kubuntu 9.10, I'd sure appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Rich Reusser

Re: hp LaserJet 1000 appears fine in hplip-gui, print jobs don't print

Make sure that you (your user) is included in the lpadmin group. I had to add myself to that group before I was able to manage/use my printer.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Found that I was in group 'lpadmn'. Should I also be in group 'lp'? The description on standard groups at ubuntuforums.org would indicate I shouldn't need to be in 'lp' but it is not definitive.

Comment

I have no lp group for my user. Have you tried just deleting the printer via CUPS and re-adding it?

Comment

Removing printer with CUPS (via http://localhost:631/) then finding and reinstalling didn't make any difference. I suspect Kubuntu doesn't like me for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by AirportEngineer69
            I suspect Kubuntu doesn't like me for some reason.

Comment

When I powered up the computer this morning, the printer acknowledged with appropriate lights and sounds. However, when I got logged into Kubuntu, the printer fails to respond to print jobs. I'm almost positive that Kubuntu doesn't like me (or least the hardware I've provided for it).

Comment

When you send a job to the printer, it also shows up in the CUPS interface. Click the "Jobs" tab, and see if you can learn anything about why it is not processing the job -- sometimes there will be an error message there.

Comment

Tried another test page this morning. Watched it go through CUPS with nary a twitch from the printer. The job log shows:

▲ ID ▲ Name User Size Pages State Control
                  HP_LaserJet_1000-17 Test Page rich 1k 1 completed at
                  Sat 05 Dec 2009 08:54:25 AM MST

I also added my username to the "Set Allowed Users" in CUPS with no gain.

I made the printer a shared printer with no effect.

Do I have to do something with USB ports? If so, where do I look for their management tools?

Comment

I just scrolled through the different tabs in hplip-gui. The 'printer-make-and-model' is shown as 'HP LaserJet 1000 Foomatic/foo2zjs (recommended)'. Would one of the other drivers be likely to change anything worthwhile? If I change the driver, should I delete the printer and add it back in with the alternate driver?

Comment

I think I've got it at last.

Using CUPS, I deleted the printer (that used the FOOMATIC driver) and installed a new printer using the 'HP LaserJet 1000 hpijs, 3.9.8.36 (color)' driver and selected 'sharing' in case that made any difference.

It printed a test page, then a spreadsheet page. I rebooted, since that has destroyed printers for me in the past and then printed a photo from an email. I think that's adequate testing for confidence.

I suppose I could delete and add different combinations until I had completely delineated what works and what doesn't, but I'm busy with church choir performances right now so I'll quit while I'm ahead.

Comment

HP printers are usually very easy to install and manage with the HPLIP package. When I upgraded to Karmic, I also installed HPLIP 3.9.8. That package is wonderful as it has taken care of some problems I had in the past with my old HP deskjet 3450. It works perfectly, it never gets "lost" upon system reboot and does a very good job of working with CUPS and printing from every application that I've run so far.
                        The next brick house on the left
                        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Working...
                        X