Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multiple monitor support Kubuntu vs Ubuntu (or kds vs gnome!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple monitor support Kubuntu vs Ubuntu (or kds vs gnome!)

Very briefly, installed Ubuntu 9.10 via wubi onto my PC. I use a dual monitor system, with an ATI 1950 card. Worked flawlessly. By default, the display was set to 1600x1200 and mirrored onto the second monitor. However, the system did understand that there are two outputs and two monitors, and it was a quick job to tick the multimonitor option.

Then someone mentioned that kde offered nicer/better/different visual effects, so I thought I'd give Kubuntu a whirl.

Hmmm.. like the cool blue loading screen. Like the cool blue desktop look and feel. Not happy about having a blogging tool on the desktop by default. But lets fire up the system gadget to enable dual monitor support, as opposed to to a clone desktop.

Ok, lets try and find the system config tool... ok, "identify monitors" results in a window with DISPLAY 1 and DISPLAY 2 in it, on both screens, not exactly promising. Click on multiple monitors... and have a message that "this is for environments with two monitors where users wish to extend the desktop across both. You do not have this" or similar. And no way of tellng it different... even though it recognises there are two dvi ports and both are in use. K, lets try changing the resolution on one. Hmm, no go either, it changes it on both. And whats more, it doesnt change the desktop resolution, but creates a display window of that resolution, in which one can scroll the desktop around it, as though the desktop is still setto 1600x1200 and the display is set to 1280x1024.

K, lets rtfm. Oh,not good. It discusses an interface or display tool that is different to the one shipped. Whats missing is the "hardware" section. Ok, what about "multiple monitor" in the system handbook.. "<long local url>monitor.html missing" Oh great.

So.... any ideas how to enable multiple monitor support in Kubuntu/KDE, even though it works fine in Ubuntu/Gnome ?

Re: Multiple monitor support Kubuntu vs Ubuntu (or kds vs gnome!)

You say you have a ATI card? I myself have a nvidia and are using the tool that nvidia-settings has offered. I think ati cards a similar tool.

Other then that i can only think you should head to System Settings -> Display -> Multimonitors.

Hope it helps.

/Tatewaki

Comment

I had the same problem. Dual monitors, mirrored display and no option under dual monitors to change or add. I downloaded the current catalyst driver for my radeon 4890 and still nothing. Then, in browsing the forums, I came across the command line to activate the catalyst program...it is kdesudo amdcccle. This brought up the ATI GUI and from there I was allowed to set up dual display monitors with an extended desktop. From that point on, the KDE control center options for dual monitors was activated and everything is working now. Hope this helps.

On a second note, why did the ATI GUI interface not show up in the menu after installation. I had an Nvidia card on another desktop and the Nvidia control panel showed up in the system menu after install. I would have never known about the control panel if I had not stumbled across the forum post with the command line. Is there a way to add it to the start menu? I am fairly new to Kubuntu so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
      Jack

Comment

Originally posted by jacksradio
        Is there a way to add it to the start menu? I am fairly new to Kubuntu so any help would be appreciated.
        Rt click the K
        Select Menu Editor
        Click New Item
        Enter the command line
        Click Save

Comment

Please look at this thread. If that's not quite what you want, click on search on the menu bar at the top of the KFN site and enter the search term "multiple monitors".

Comment

Working...
          X