X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Can't Sleep ( Suspend ) or Hibernate my Laptop using Kubuntu 9.10

Hi every body.
    I installed Kubuntu 9.10 on my laptop. for 2-3 weeks every thing was fine and I was able to Suspend or hibernate my system very well.

but after running out my laptop battery I had to shutdown my system manually. and after that day, I can't suspend or hibernate my laptop !

Please help me , because suspending laptop is very important and especially to me !

I have 2 GiG swap partition and installed graphic driver ( intel )
    My Laptop : Acer Aspire 4710

Thanks.

Re: I Can't Sleep ( Suspend ) or Hibernate my Laptop using Kubuntu 9.10

Do you mean that nothing happens if you suspend/hibernate?...or that suspend/hibernate doesn't work correctly (like unable to resume from suspend)?

If the latter, I'd recommend trying out userspace suspend (instead of kernel suspend), I wrote instructions here (http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107399.0) on how to test uswsusp and how to switch to it if it works

Comment

I can run s2disk , s2ram , s2both commands in my system .
      but when I click Sleep or Hibernate Buttons in the Power Management Widget in KDE nothing happens !
      even though from Launcher > Leave > Sleep ( or Hibernate ) buttons !

what should I do ?!

Comment

Hmm, could be an issue with KDE power management and/or pm-utils then.

As a temporary workaround (until you get it figured out), you could create a desktop link and/or keyboard shortcut to run "kdesudo s2both" to get a working suspend if you need it regularly.

Check the power management settings in SystemSettings>Advanced>PowerManagement, especially the page where it lists the supported powermanagement features like "supported suspend methods", is there something missing/not supported?

Comment

I think it's a bug on the ubntu core. because I didn't have problem with jaunty ( and same KDE version ! )
          but it seems there isn't anyone with this problem !
          confused very well !!

I have latest version of KDE ( 4.3.3 ) but it still exist. as I said may be on the core.

anyway , it seems I should suspend it manually !!

Comment

Hey wait a minute !
            when I enter s2ram command i get this message :
            Code:
            ~$ sudo s2ram
            Machine is unknown.
            This machine can be identified by:
              sys_vendor  = "Acer      "
              sys_product = "Aspire 4710          "
              sys_version = "0100      "
              bios_version = "V1.14     "
            See [url]http://suspend.sf.net/s2ram-support.html[/url] for details.

If you report a problem, please include the complete output above.
            http://suspend.sf.net/s2ram-support.html redirected to http://en.opensuse.org/S2ram page. and there is some information about this message :

Code:
            Note that you need to use the -f option on all unknown machines, then add the proper workarounds.
            The best way to start investigating an unknown machine is probably to boot with init=/bin/bash at the boot prompt into a minimal environment, then do:

# mount /proc
             # mount /sys
             # s2ram -f

if the first try already succeeds, everything is fine. Send us the output of s2ram -i, and don't forget to mention that plain s2ram -f was enough even from text mode (see #How to contact the authors of s2ram?). If it doesn't, try the following variations:...
            and didn't get anything from this paragraph except running "sudo s2ram -f" to sleep my system. and it worked!

but what should I do to introduce my system to s2ram ?! ( for working without -f parameter )
            I think my problem depends on this problem ( what do you think ?! )

Comment

I had the same problem and found a solution at another place. It seems completely unrelated, but works.

Simply install pulseaudio-utils package. --> sudo apt-get install pulseaudio-utils

Enjoy.

Let me know if it works for you.

Comment

Thank you oaftab! I've installed pulseaudio-utils package and the problem solved!

Comment

Originally posted by oaftab
                  I had the same problem and found a solution at another place. It seems completely unrelated, but works.

Simply install pulseaudio-utils package. --> sudo apt-get install pulseaudio-utils

Enjoy.

Let me know if it works for you.
                  no ! I have this package but my problem still exist !

Code:
                  Reading package lists... Done
                  Building dependency tree
                  Reading state information... Done
                  pulseaudio-utils is already the newest version.
                  pulseaudio-utils set to manually installed.

Comment

Working...
                  X