Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to disable taps as mouse clicks on touchpad?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to disable taps as mouse clicks on touchpad?

Hi All,

I have a dell inspiron 700m which has a touchpad along with two buttons below it. In most systems, by default the OS will detect a tap of the touchpad as a mouse click. I hate that, I am not sure if ifs my oaf like fingers, but im always clicking by accident while typing. In windows as well as Ubuntu, it allowed me to disable reading a tap as a click, but I cant seem to find that option in System Settings in Kubuntu. Is there a way?

Re: How to disable touchpad taps as mouse clicks?

Re: How to disable touchpad?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

There is a relatively new systemsettings module for touchpads that you can install, but unfortunately it's not in the main repositories yet, though it might be available from ppas.
      http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=113335

There are also various other tools available, like touchfreeze and gsynaptics (gpointing-device-settings) from gnome.

I simply use synclient myself, more info on that you can find here (and on other threads):
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106355.0

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        I would like to disable the "tap pad to click" feature, not the whole touchpad. Is there a way to use the gnome control panel for this?

Comment

Re: How to disable taps as mouse clicks on touchpad?

CrunchBang Linux Forums » Tips, Tricks & Scripts » disabling touchpad tap-to-click

Comment

Hmm.... Never added a ppa before, but also never had to futz around with a hal / xorg file. When I get home I will try editing my that file. I will post back with results. Your searching skills are way better than mine snowhog, I even checked ubuntuforums. Thanks!

Comment

You're welcome. Do let us know how it goes. REMEMBER: Before making changes to system files - BACK THEM UP FIRST! (make a copy of it).

Comment

Originally posted by rideburton56
                I would like to disable the "tap pad to click" feature, not the whole touchpad. Is there a way to use the gnome control panel for this?
                In case you missed it in my link, you can disable just tapping by using "touchpadoff=2" (no tapping) instead of "touchpadoff=1" (touchpad disabled).

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                  There is a relatively new systemsettings module for touchpads that you can install, but unfortunately it's not in the main repositories yet, though it might be available from ppas.

There are also various other tools available, like touchfreeze and gsynaptics (gpointing-device-settings) from gnome.

I simply use synclient myself, more info on that you can find here (and on other threads):
                  http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106355.0
                  I concur: if the issue is the touchpad detecting a "tap" while typing, then synclient is the ideal solution. (I like being able to click-to-tap when not typing.)

Comment

I just installed this for exactly the same reason (to disable the touchpad) and although I got a few warnings when I compiled it, it works very well, and is very well integrated with the rest of the KDE system settings.

Comment

In case you missed it in my link, you can disable just tapping by using "touchpadoff=2" (no tapping) instead of "touchpadoff=1" (touchpad disabled).
                      I must have totally missed that when searching the posted topics. Thanks! Am i running that in the terminal?

Comment

I must have totally missed that when searching the posted topics. Thanks! Am i running that in the terminal?
                        You can test the functionality with running 'synclient touchpadoff=2' in the terminal, but I'd recommend creating a script to toggle tapping, you can then create a .desktop launcher and/or keyboard shortcut to run the script for easier usage.

Here's the instructions from my earlier post in http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106355.0:
                        For synclient to work, you need to set SHMConfig to "on" in hal input policy, you can create an fdi file (which is the "hal -way" of handling xorg options), Here's a sample /etc/hal/fdi/policy/15-my_synaptics_options.fdi:
                        Code:
                        ?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->
                        <deviceinfo version="0.2">
                         <device> 
                          <match key="info.product" string="SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad">
                           <merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig" type="string">true</merge>
                           <merge key="input.x11_options.TouchpadOff" type="string">2</merge>
                          </match>
                         </device>
                        </deviceinfo>
                        The first key turns SHMConfig on, and the second key sets the initial status of the touchpad to "no tapping" (The available values are 0=Touchpad on, 1=Touchpad off and 2=Tapping off)

After SHMConfig is on (you may need to restart hal), you can toggle touchpad settings with:
                        Code:
                        synclient TouchpadOff=[value]

Here's a sample script to toggle between "Touchpad on" and "No tapping":
                        Code:
                        #!/bin/sh

STATUS=`synclient -l 2>/dev/null | awk '/TouchpadOff/ {print $3}'`
                        if [ $STATUS -eq "0" ]; then
                          synclient TouchpadOff=2
                        else
                          synclient TouchpadOff=0
                        fi
                        Save the script somewhere (/usr/local/bin/tp_toggle, for example) and make it executable. Test that it works by running 'tp_toggle' in konsole. Now you can create a .desktop link (icon in kmenu with kmenueditor, for example...use 'tp_toggle' as the command to run) to run it and set a keyboard shortcut for quick toggling.

Comment

Working...
                        X