X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9.10 sound problems

Hi There,

After having upgraded from 9.04 to 9.10 in my office, I was very impressed by the new Kubuntu and hence4 decided to upgrade my system at home too. Now the problem is, I can't get the sound to work at home.... Dunno why, I'm having an Acer ASE700-EQ661A desktop at home that's featuring an inter g965 express chipset. Is there no support available for this chipset? Also, The graphics are terrible the fan on my nvidia video card went bad a couple of weeks ago and hence i've been using the onboard video card which is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOW and pretty crappy... any one an idea how to improve the proformance of the graphics and even more important, how can i get the sound back?

Thanks for help and suggestions!
    Ron
    roN

http://www.inetgate.biz

Re: 9.10 sound problems

this is what i get with
    lspci -v

Code:
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Foxconn International, Inc. Device 0cef                
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22                
        Memory at efff4000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]             
        Capabilities: <access denied>                          
        Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel                         
        Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
    What does "Capabilities: <access denied>" stand for?
    roN

Comment

Originally posted by reggler
      What does "Capabilities: <access denied>" stand for?
      Try "sudo lspci -v" instead

Comment

Ron check the following links , read them carefully and follow them step by step.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

The following link is a thread i posted which is maybe related to your problem.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107423.0

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...tions+database

Comment

Originally posted by Lefteris
          Ron check the following links , read them carefully and follow them step by step.
          Yup, that's what i was gonna do but then after
          Code:
          sudo modprobe snd-
          hitting TAB wouldn't bring up any options or available drivers. Also, http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/ wouldn't go to a list of available drivers but i'm certain that there must be drivers for my 82801H (ICH2 Family) available, no?
          Thanks,
          Ron
          roN

Comment

Okay, I just figured out that it is "only" a volume problem, having everything at 100% in KMIX and my amps full open as well i can hear the test sound from the "system settings" dialog. I'm wondering why it is so quiet, where else can i turn that up?
            Thanks,
            Ron
            roN

Comment

let's try this command

sudo apt-get install grub2

I've got it from somewhere (sorry, i don't remember)
              Linux tawee2009 2.6.31-14-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 16 14:04:26 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux - Desktop@Office<br /><br />Acer Aspire 3810TZ : Dual Boots : Vista/Kubuntu9.10

Comment

Originally posted by tawee2009
                let's try this command

What do you think GRUB may have to do with my sound issues? I don't think that's related dude!
                roN

Comment

let's try this command

Having nothing to do with the content of this thread is bad enough. That you would offer a 'solution' when you don't even, by your own admission, know where you got it, or for that matter, based on your post, what it would do, is foolish and potentially dangerous.

Unless you know what a command will do, or what the installation (or removal) of a package will do, please do not suggest doing so. Some 'noobs' not knowing any better, and 'trusting' what they find here, can get themselves into a lot of trouble following unqualified advise.
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

eather click Kmix>mixer>setings configure chanels and make shure PCM is checked and up

or

in a konsole do
                    Code:
                    alsamixer
                    and see if PCM is up..............you may half to tap the tab key once or twice to see all the chanels.

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
                      eather click Kmix>mixer>setings configure chanels and make shure PCM is checked and up

or

in a konsole do
                      Code:
                      alsamixer
                      and see if PCM is up..............you may half to tap the tab key once or twice to see all the chanels.

VINNY
                      Okay, now in KMix i don't have a channel that's called pcm but one that's pcm2 and that one is open fully.
                      When i tried to launch alsamixer i get this:
                      Code:
                      alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory
                      ...?
                      roN

Comment

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8269958

look at lukp's answer

maybe, alaska is a bit cool, that's make people curious and serious
                        (the suggested code is not a bit dangerous!!!)
                        Linux tawee2009 2.6.31-14-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 16 14:04:26 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux - Desktop@Office<br /><br />Acer Aspire 3810TZ : Dual Boots : Vista/Kubuntu9.10

Comment

(the suggested code is not a bit dangerous!!!)
                          No, it isn't. But, it has nothing to do with the problem in this thread, which I pointed out. That you posted a command that had nothing to do with this problem, is what I was emphasizing. You obviously didn't understand the OPs problem, or you wouldn't have made the post you did.

The command you suggested will replace the existing Grub legacy if it is installed. If the OP is using Grub legacy, having it replaced - without his/her knowledge that that is what was going to happen - changes things, and sometimes, in a not so friendly manner.

Had you instead, as you have done to my reply, pointed to the Ubutnuforums post as a 'possible solution,' then the OP would be able to make up their own mind as to whether to try it or not.
                          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks, that is the people like you to make the world clear.

Sometimes one does not have much time to make clear as whether he does know or not. And people which are learning by doing will experience themselves. The existing kernel is so far upgrading not supposing to harm users instead friendly and easy to install.

Reinstalling is not a big problem otherwise not having backup stuffs. Pains make them learn and always be cautious. This is the way I used to learning!!!

Comment

Thanks, that is the people like you to make the world clear.

Sometimes one does not have much time to make clear as whether he does know or not.
                              and at these times it's best to remane silent and observe

And people which are learning by doing will experience themselves.
                              true but thay will learn by doing faster if thay arnt lead down the rong path.

The existing kernel is so far upgrading not supposing to harm users instead friendly and easy to install.
                              not realey shure what you mean hear.....but one realey shouldent be just installing kernels willey nilley and if you ment grub2 thats not the kernel it's the boot loader ......the thread you were refering to was about the kernel and grub BUT it was talking about grub menu not geting updated whien a new kernel was installed and was booting the old kernel.......the work was to get it to point at the new kernel.

if the OP was using the old grub (like me) and your post got me to install grub2 my system mite be all mesed up now and being new to this I mite not know how to fix it witch would have me mad at YOU

Reinstalling is not a big problem otherwise not having backup stuffs
                              reinstalling IS a big problem if it was unnesesarey >

Pains make them learn and always be cautious. This is the way I used to learning!!!
                              I am so sorey that you seam to have ben abused but it realey isent nesesarey to hurt someone to teach them.

VINNY

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                              16GB RAM
                              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                              X