X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Removed Devices? what?

Originally posted by royleith
    I tried a series of about 15 resets into single-core mode (maxcpus=1) and got no messages. If you have had similar problems, were you running a multi-core or multi-thread cpu and were you also running wireless networking?
    there is no wifi card in my desktop , it also happens to have a quad core processor..
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I have the same problem with Intel HDA (ALC 622) on my netbook. It started almost a month ago and occurs randomly. Is this bug filed? I've noticed that this problem started after the usual kernel update.

Comment

Originally posted by oblivion
        I've noticed that this problem started after the usual kernel update.
        I noted that as well. However booting back into the older Kernel did not resolve the issue for me.

Is there a solution for this at this current point in time? I'm going to try that rebooting nonsense shortly just to see if it works - but if I cannot have full audio working on my computer I will need to revert back to Gnome where it works properly. (Such a shame I was enjoying KDE)

Regards,
        ~Jeff
        Games I Play on Ubuntu - Linux Gaming Optimizations

Comment

I haven't had sound since I upgraded to kernel 2.6.31-xx (also didn't have my NVidia card working until the most recent kernel arrived). Almost makes me want to switch desktops permanently -- as I do have sound on Gnome, Enlightenment, and Xfce.

But my question is somewhat related to this thread... recently, when trying to fix my sound, I inadvertently told the system to erase my drivers (as they weren't recognized). Since then I cannot get my devices to show up in PulseAudio. What can I do to fix this problem? (I tried rebuilding Alsa and that didn't help, also tried purging PulseAudio packages and that didn't work).

Comment

i have not seen that message in a while... and i have had quite a few kernel updates..
            currently running kernel 2.6.31-16

Comment

I had that same sort of message, also. I just told it to shut up, go away, and not bother me anymore because I'll decide when I want hardware to be removed. Hasn't bothered me since. Of course it could actually be the couple of kernel and other updates in the interim.
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

From KDE Forums:
                Originally posted by Mamarok
                Well, it is not Amarok that causes this problem but Pulseaudio, which you shouldn't be using with KDE in Kubuntu.

The best procedure is to remove Pulseaudio (unless you us Gnome on a regular basis, then you will need it apparently), then remove the $HOME/.kde/share/config/phonondevicesrc file and restart KDE.

JFYI: this is something you should address your distribution with, Amarok doesn't handle sound itself, but lets Phonon do this, and Pulseaudio doesn't work well with Phonon. You could search the archives of or ask on the kubuntu-users mailinglist or in the #kubuntu channel on irc.freenode.net.

Also make sure you use the phonon-backend-xine and have the kubuntu-restricted-extras package installed for the codecs.

And BTW, you could have searched the forum a little, this has been discussed here numerous times already... I am quite astonished nobody knows a solution on Kubuntuforums.org as this is a recurring problem with Kubuntu since at least 9.04. Are you sure you didn't find mention of it in the archives there?
                EDIT: In short uninstalling PulseAudio appears to resolve the issue:
                Code:
                sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio
                Cheers,
                ~Jeff
                Games I Play on Ubuntu - Linux Gaming Optimizations

Comment

Same issue here using AMD64 Athlon twin pro.
                  Always seems to affect wireless connection as well.
                  Definitely not a problem on gnome, although i have to admit i haven`t had the problem for a couple of days, maybe its resolved, has anyone else still got the problem?

Comment

Continues to appear occasionally on my 64-bit machine, an immediate restart or the next boot and the problem goes away.

Can't think why this is such an inconsistent problem, wonder if sometimes there's a conflict to do with parallel processes during boot, I get something similar with compositing being disabled on start-up - not always just occasionally.
                    Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

i just started to get this on the work tizzy (32-bit w/ 2.6.31-17 nvidia & wifi, kde 4.4rc1).

Comment

I have had this problem on my desktop but I just clicked on yes and it has always worked fine. I recently installed karmic on my netbook. After a bit of indecision decided to keep it and did a full update to the kde 4.3 packages in backports and started to install other apps and got this error message. I have now found that sound doesn't work at all

I see there is a post further up saying that pulseaudio may be to blame and to uninstall it. Does this work and if so why is it in kubuntu?

Comment

I am still pestered by this problem on my X64 AMD dual core and am increasingly hit by complete system freezes. i checked to see if any pulseaudio applications were installed and only found a pulseaudio library.

I have not had any problems with my two single core, 32 bit AMD machines. I recently installed an Acer Aspire Revo R3600 and had one audio card missing report. The R3600 has a 32bit Intel Atom, but it is dual core. However, the machine is on 24/7 so there have not been enough reboots to confirm that it is not a persistant problem.

I am thinking of changing to Ubuntu, but I will miss the Kubuntu features like the menu interface. I was only able to get Ubuntu Studio to work properly on the dual core AMD by forcing it to use one CPU only. i suspect there is some sort of problem with the multicore support in the kernel. I wonder if that is also a feature of this audio card problem.

Regards
                          Roy Leith

Comment

I was getting this message (I also have Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)) too. I think I was getting after installing Karmic (December 31, 2009). On January 9, 2010, I installed pulseaudio and the message stopped appearing. Sound works perfectly (did before I installed pulseaudio too).
                            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

So we now have one recommendation to remove pulseaudio and one to install it

Further to my sound problem on my netbook (aao). I tried booting into the original kernel (.14) and it crashed so badly that I could only get out with a hard reboot. I tried again and booted successfully and sound worked so I assumed it was a problem with the latest kernel. However, when I tried booting into the new kernel (.17) sound had started working

As to pulseaudio, I have just searched in kpackagekit on my desktop and there are no pulseaudio packages installed. However, when I look in Multimedia in System Settings the audio output devices list my soundcard first and then below that has a Pulseaudio entry as if it was a device. Is this a result of the base ubuntu packages that assume a gnome system with pulseaudio?

Comment

Originally posted by bailout
                                Is this a result of the base ubuntu packages that assume a gnome system with pulseaudio?
                                I'm pretty sure the answer is 'no.' What is going on (I believe) is there is a pulseaudio library that is installed as a result of a dependency. Because of this library, the sound system reports pulseaudio in the sound devices, even though it (pulseaudio) isn't installed. That was my situation, and installing pulseaudio caused the annoying message to stop appearing.
                                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                                X