This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removed Devices? what?

Every so often kde give me this message.

KDE detected that one or more internal sound devices were removed.
    Do you want KDE to permanently forget about these devices?
    This is the list of devices KDE thinks can be removed:
    Capture: HDA Intel (ALC662 rev1 Analog)
    Output: HDA Intel (ALC662 rev1 Analog)
    -do not ask again for these devices (check box)
    -Yes(button)
    -No(button)
    -Manage Devices(button)

What do I do?

Re: Removed Devices? what?

I've got some voodoo that might just help you.
    • log off Kubuntu
    • shut down the PC completely
    • wait 30 seconds
    • unplug the power cable from the computer
    • wait 10 minutes
    • plug the power cable back in
    • power on the PC
    • log on Kubuntu

If those steps fix the problem, then go out and purchase a high quality surge protector or UPS.

Be sure to report back your results, just in case my voodoo did not take effect. (No blood sacrifice should be necessary. )
    Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

this also happens to me once and a while and its my Video cards HDMI pass thru that is not powered becuase its not in use could be a similar thing your your machine (except i would get this every boot)
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I am getting the same error every time I boot up on two different Kubuntu 9.10 boxes: one desktop and one laptop. Both started doing it on the same day, which was shortly after I upgraded them to KDE 4.3.3, coincidentally. I guess I'll choose to "permanently forget" them and see what happens. Sound seems to work regardless.

Comment

I was experiencing similar problems on my Jaunty computer with sound and network. The voodoo described above fixed the problems. Have you guys tried it?
          Welcome newbies!
          Verify the ISO
          Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by Telengard
            I was experiencing similar problems on my Jaunty computer with sound and network. The voodoo described above fixed the problems. Have you guys tried it?
            No help from the voodoo. My laptop was powered down and unplugged several times between consecutive boot-ups and it made no difference.

Comment

Been getting the same problem for the past few days. For some reason I'm getting issues with all manor of different hardware being recognised, then not being recognised then after another restart it's there again. I reckon an update has caused the problem. I solved the sound device issue (kinda) by re-installing ALSA. I think I might have installed extra components for PULSE too. I suggest you open synaptic and search for ALSA and make a few "guesses" at what might need to be installed/re-installed.

If you haven't already installed synaptic (a package manager) install it by typing sudo apt-get install synaptic in Terminal. Synaptic is much better than Kubuntu's default package manager.

Comment

Problem disappeared after I told Kubuntu to "forget" about the audio device. No ill effects as far as I can tell. Sound still works. Although I haven't tried using the microphone.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob_H
                  Problem disappeared after I told Kubuntu to "forget" about the audio device. No ill effects as far as I can tell. Sound still works. Although I haven't tried using the microphone.
                  I tried that with mine 4 or 5 times but took a different attitude when it kept asking the same question every boot. It was like the device was being found during the boot process but was being kicked out while the desktop loaded. I'm glad it's worked for you.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrageeky
                    Been getting the same problem for the past few days. For some reason I'm getting issues with all manor of different hardware being recognised, then not being recognised then after another restart it's there again.
                    I am running Karmic X64 on a dual core AMD laptop. I have been getting more and more bemused by the same problems. The 'removed audio devices' is appearing more and more often usually to the accompaniment of the startup chimes. Another bizarre manifestation is that the keyboard (USB) does not work and I cannot log in. The mouse (USB) continues working and restarting the XServer brings back the keyboard. (I had real problems with the non-free video drivers and am using the free versions) Restarting Xserver does not seem to help with the audio device as far as I can see. Often, the problems disappear for a while, but today, the audio device problem has stayed after several resets and a couple of cold boots.

Ever since going x64 with both 9.04 and 9.10 I have been having problems with complete freezes occurring out of the blue, sometimes when i am not active on the computer. i have much worse problems on X64 Ubuntu Studio which will not even boot. The answer for U.S. is to drop one of the cores with maxcpus=1 in the Grub kernel line. I have not tried that with Kubuntu, but I wonder if this is related to the audio and keyboard problems as well.

The maximum RAM I can get into the laptop is 2GB so there is no real benefit going X64. I am planning to reinstall both installations with X86 to see if the problems go away. This will give me the use of both cores which can be useful with both my use of Kubuntu and Ubuntu Studio.

My concern is that the problems with Kubuntu are too erratic and I won't know for sure if the change is also associated with some other effect such as upgrading from 9.04 to 9.10 rather than a new install.

Regards
                    Roy Leith

Comment

the upgrade could be a source of you problems, try that fresh install and keep us posted. btw i don't thinks it a 64-bit issue, i have noticed no issues w/ my 64 bit installs that i couldn't create on a x86 machine.

Comment

My Karmic 64bit install started giving me an occasional "want to forget?" request with my mouse USB mouse. I'd tell it no and continue on my way with no problems. It doesn't occur at any specific time and I can't equate the appearance of the problem with a specific date or upgrade, but it doesn't happen often enough to be a problem, or even an annoyance.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                          My Karmic 64bit install started giving me an occasional "want to forget?" request with my mouse USB mouse. I'd tell it no and continue on my way with no problems. It doesn't occur at any specific time and I can't equate the appearance of the problem with a specific date or upgrade, but it doesn't happen often enough to be a problem, or even an annoyance.
                          thats never happened to me w/ my mouse.. only sound devices and when i removed my capture card.and one should expect it to ask about the card, but i wonder why a usb mouse, do you still have it pluged in when you get these errors?

Comment

Originally posted by royleith

I am running Karmic X64 on a dual core AMD laptop. The 'removed audio devices' is appearing more and more often usually to the accompaniment of the startup chimes. Another bizarre manifestation is that the keyboard (USB) does not work and I cannot log in. The mouse (USB) continues working and restarting the XServer (free drivers, only) brings back the keyboard. Restarting Xserver does not seem to help with the audio device as far as I can see. Often, the problems disappear for a while, but today, the audio device problem has stayed after several resets and a couple of cold boots.

Ever since going x64 with both 9.04 and 9.10 I have been having problems with complete freezes occurring out of the blue, sometimes when i am not active on the computer. i have much worse problems on X64 Ubuntu Studio which will not even boot. The answer for U.S. is to drop one of the cores with maxcpus=1 in the Grub kernel line. I have not tried that with Kubuntu, but I wonder if this is related to the audio and keyboard problems as well.

I am planning to reinstall both installations with X86 to see if the problems go away.
                            I installed the X86 versions of Kubuntu and Ubuntu Studio 9.10. The U.S. problems remained so it is not an X64 problem but a dual core issue. The 'audio devices removed' issue went away for Kubuntu. I installed a few of my favourite apps with no problems. Then I did a full update and the 'audio devices removed' issue was back. Again, it is not an X64 issue. i checked which updates were installed to see what could have caused the problem and found jockey-common 0.5.5-Oubuntu 3 (all) which is described as a Kubuntu device driver management system. Nothing else appears related. I have the 32bit versions of kubuntu and Ubuntu Studio installed on my AMD single core machines and have not seen any of these problems.

I have seen reports from both Intel and AMD dual core and multi-thread cpu users having problems with things like Firewire and freezes. On the other hand, I have heard from four core users who have no such problems.

I have restored my X64 installations to the laptop and reverted to Grub V1 so that I can insert the maxcpus=1 line for U.S. My final check is to try booting Kubuntu a few times with this inserted and then without to see if the 'audio device removed' is related to dual core working.

Regards
                            Roy Leith

Comment

Originally posted by royleith

I have restored my X64 installations to the laptop and reverted to Grub V1 so that I can insert the maxcpus=1 line for U.S. My final check is to try booting Kubuntu a few times with this inserted and then without to see if the 'audio device removed' is related to dual core working.
                              I started with a string of boots followed by power-down and disconnection of the power supply. I got a rate of about one in six boots exhibiting the problem. I then carried out a string of resets and the rate seemed slightly higher, but this may not be statistically significant.

There was one consistent feature: the wireless connection was always unavailable whenever the 'audio devices removed' message appeared even though the Plasma knetworkmanager interface was showing a good signal. The wireless card would not connect to any wireless port. Also note that the audio driver was working in spite of the message given.

I tried a series of about 15 resets into single-core mode (maxcpus=1) and got no messages. If you have had similar problems, were you running a multi-core or multi-thread cpu and were you also running wireless networking?

Regards
                              Roy Leith

Comment

Working...
                              X