X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio drivers are crashing

hey I got a problem:

My audio card is crashing from time to time with the following message:
    The audio playback device "HDA Intel (AD198x Analog)" does not work.
    Falling back to.

The crash seems to be randomly and I can fix the problem with a reboot

any other solutions?

Aplay -l:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: AD198x Analog [AD198x Analog]
    Subdevices: 0/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Re: Audio drivers are crashing

Originally posted by biosftw

The audio playback device "HDA Intel (AD198x Analog)" does not work.
    Falling back to.
    I get that crash message on my desktop Kubuntu system every time I boot it. It is a phonon message. In my case, it is errrr LYING! There's no actual crash of anything.

So, you might want to examine the possibility that there's not actually problem with your audio. Your "aplay -l" output looks reasonable. Can you play music?

Comment

Just got the crash again:
      Well I can play a stream via the plasma-widget: Simplestream
      But I dont hear anything via amarok and flashplayers like youtube

Comment

biosftw i had the same problem when i was running jaunty but when i updated to karmic the problem was solved. I run a Sony Vaio laptop.

Would be nice to show us your audio devices by: lspci -v (copy paste here only your audio devices)

I read in alsa manual that modules intelx08 and intelx08m support up to the ICH7 family audio controller. So you must use the snd-hda-intel for ICH8 and above if im not wrong.

You will also find useful: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107423.0
        It is my post that i had a problem with sound when i updated to karmic but my problem was due to kernel reasons.

Nevertheless, at my post look at dibl's second post. There, he has added two very useful links for troubleshooting your audio problems. Check carefully both links.

Personally i would suggest upgrading to karmic. I don't know what audio devices your laptop/pc is using but I think it offers a better driver support. It did for me.
        The final choice is yours.

Comment

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
          Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 30d8
          Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
          Memory at e4624000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
          Capabilities: <access denied>
          Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
          Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

Problem is still there... and I am running Karmic already

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
            I get that crash message on my desktop Kubuntu system every time I boot it. It is a phonon message. In my case, it is errrr LYING! There's no actual crash of anything.

So, you might want to examine the possibility that there's not actually problem with your audio. Your "aplay -l" output looks reasonable. Can you play music?
            I get something similar, on booting phonon reports that Pulseaudio is not working falling back to HDA Intel.....which is interesting because pulseaudio doesn't exist on my system yet it still appears as an audio output in multimedia settings.

In 9.10 I get audio from most media players but not in any browser (Opera/Firefox/Konqueror) whereas everything worked in 9.04.
            Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

Originally posted by quarkslot

I get something similar, on booting phonon reports that Pulseaudio is not working falling back to HDA Intel.....which is interesting because pulseaudio doesn't exist on my system yet it still appears as an audio output in multimedia settings.

In 9.10 I get audio from most media players but not in any browser (Opera/Firefox/Konqueror) whereas everything worked in 9.04.
              I am getting the exact same error when KDE starts up for me as well. It tells me pulseaudio does not work and it is falling back to HDA Intel. Pulseaudio is not installed, and in the device list Pulseaudio is listed, but at the bottom of the device list.

Also as above, audio works for some media players, but not in any browser. Audio worked fine in 9.04. This is a 3 yr old Dell Precision M90 laptop with a completely fresh install.

lspci -vv
              00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
              Subsystem: Dell Device 01cf
              Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
              Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
              Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
              Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 21
              Region 0: Memory at dfffc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
              Capabilities: <access denied>
              Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
              Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

aplay -l
              **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
              card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
              Subdevices: 0/1
              card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: STAC92xx Digital [STAC92xx Digital]
              Subdevices: 1/1

lsmod | grep snd
              snd_hda_codec_idt 59844 1
              snd_hda_intel 26920 7
              snd_hda_codec 75708 2 snd_hda_codec_idt,snd_hda_intel
              snd_hwdep 7200 1 snd_hda_codec
              snd_pcm_oss 37920 0
              snd_mixer_oss 16028 1 snd_pcm_oss
              snd_pcm 75296 4 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss
              snd_seq_dummy 2656 0
              snd_seq_oss 28576 0
              snd_seq_midi 6432 0
              snd_rawmidi 22208 1 snd_seq_midi
              snd_seq_midi_event 6940 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
              snd_seq 50224 6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_mid i_event
              snd_timer 22276 3 snd_pcm,snd_seq
              snd_seq_device 6920 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi ,snd_seq
              snd 59204 24 snd_hda_codec_idt,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_ hwdep,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_os s,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
              soundcore 7264 1 snd
              snd_page_alloc 9156 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

Kubuntu is feeling like a 2 steps forward, 1 step back installation...

This appears to be a very similar problem as in this thread:
              http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107702.0

Comment

Originally posted by john.morris
                I am getting the exact same error when KDE starts up for me as well. It tells me pulseaudio does not work and it is falling back to HDA Intel. Pulseaudio is not installed, and in the device list Pulseaudio is listed, but at the bottom of the device list.
                I assume you have demoted Pulseaudio to the bottom of the list for every category?

I have now discovered the lack of sound in browsers; in KMix enable the PCM channel and set its volume level to 100%.
                Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

Working...
                X