This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Display and wireless connection not functioning properly

Just installed 9.10 on my thinkpad T42, the task and tittle bars are not diplaying, comes up as white lines. I have a ATI Radeon 7500 graphics card. Also I am unable to use my WiFi connection, the system finds my wifi router but is not allowing me to surf the net. Please help me out, a little new to linux.
    Thanks

Re: Display and wireless connection not functioning properly

Wireless - I have found the standard-issue network manager to be a mixed bag. Assuming you have a wired connection, install wicd. This will uninstall the standard network manager. Reboot and the network icon should appear in your taskbar. Click on it to open, then click on the name of your router to configure any security settings.

I believe your ATI card requires non- standard issue drivers to work properly - just like in Windows. I'm not at my kubuntu box right now so the place and name might be slightly out, but from the menu bar take a look at system /hardware and it may be that there is a reference the drivers you need there. Having pretty bog standard equipment (like an intel graphics card) i've never needed to install proprietary drivers so I can't guarantee it will be there.

By way of update there is some info here

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ATI_Mobility_Radeon_7500
    ian

Comment

Thanks Liquidator, I (was) also having wireless issues.
      Just installed 9.10 on a Compaq Presario f500 Lappy.
      Installed the b43-fwcutter, the connection works fine without any encryption, as soon as I try using WPA encryption it won't connect; using wicd it all works fine.

Comment

Checked out http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ATI_Mobility_Radeon_7500 but cant seem to find the link to the download

Comment

Hold on, the binary drivers are in the official repository. You may download newer binary drivers, and I can help you with that. But at this point, just go to hardware drivers and activate the display driver.

Also, the open-source driver (installed by default) should work just fine (except, at this point in time, 3D acceleration, which will most likely happen for next release).

Can you try System->Hardware Drivers first?

Comment

Guys,

I am having the exact same issue with the video drivers on this T42 which also has the Radeon 7500 mobility video card. I tried the System->Hardware Drivers route first with no success.

If anyone has found a solution please help!

Thanks.
            8.10 Intrepid

Comment

Working...
            X