Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there no proprietary ATI driver for x64?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there no proprietary ATI driver for x64?

After evaluating the release candidate (x86) version and having some issues, I decided to try the final release of the x64 version. In the x86 version, the 'hardware drivers' app automatically informs me that there is a proprietary driver for my graphics (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470) which then installed fine. I have just reformatted and installed x64 final release but no prompt from the hardware drivers app. I then opened this and no optional driver displayed.

I have searched via Kpackagekit and found: 'xorgdriver-fglrx 2:8.660-0ubuntu4' and am downloading this and relevant packages now... Is this the correct driver?
    • chris  m •

Re: Is there no proprietary ATI driver for x64?

Originally posted by c_martini
    After evaluating the release candidate (x86) version and having some issues, I decided to try the final release of the x64 version. In the x86 version, the 'hardware drivers' app automatically informs me that there is a proprietary driver for my graphics (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470) which then installed fine. I have just reformatted and installed x64 final release but no prompt from the hardware drivers app. I then opened this and no optional driver displayed.

I have searched via Kpackagekit and found: 'xorgdriver-fglrx 2:8.660-0ubuntu4' and am downloading this and relevant packages now... Is this the correct driver?
    I've had good luck with that card using the driver on ATi's website. Also, wiki.cchtml.com is a good resource for ATi on linux
    # make install --not-war

Comment

Re: Is there no proprietary ATI driver for x64?

Now the desktop system settings crash when I try to open the applet from the system settings panel.

This is a fresh install. I just completed it. The only change being that I installed the xorgdriver-fglrx 2:8.660-0ubuntu4 driver from the repositories.
      • chris  m •

Comment

[solved] Is there no proprietary ATI driver for x64?

UPDATE:

I first removed 'xorgdriver-fglrx 2:8.660-0ubuntu4' and then just installed the proprietary driver from the ATI site:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...5&lang=English

For Karmic, it needs no additional packages installed, just open Dolphin as root
        Code:
        kdesudo dolphin
        and browse to the directory where you downloaded the driver file. Go to tools, open terminal. run the install by typing the following command with the driver script name after it:
        Code:
        ./ati-driver-installer-9-10-x86.x86_64.run
        . Restart your pc or you can alternatively just restart x.

Desktop effects can now be enabled in the desktop applet in system settings.

• chris  m •

Comment

Working...
        X