This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sandisk 4 GB micro automounting but I don't want it to

My Sandisk 4 GB micro cruzer started automounting: when I put it in, it mounts both the u3 system and the device. I then cannot unmount it using the device manager or dolphin. I can unmount it in Nautilus ('nautilus --no-desktop' and yes, I use this on my kde system... it allows me to mount and unmount my samba shares)

Why is hal/kde mounting this when I insert it suddenly?

I put an fstab line in so it would ignore the u3 system

/dev/sr1 none iso9660 defualts 0 0

but I can only still unmount it using konsole or nautilus.

Re: Sandisk 4 GB micro automounting but I don't want it to

did you install a device notifier with auto mount ?
    there is no reason that it should auto mount unless its set to in your fstab or with another mount tool like mount manager(and i think that just adds a line to fstab to mount it)
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I hapen to have that same usb stick and I can tell you that on a default upgrade to KK from JJ inserting the stick brings up the device notafyer showing U3 and the device clicking the device opens it in dolphin .

IF I click the desktop the notafication window will close then opening dolphin and clicking the device in the left places pane will open (mount) it then rite clicking the device in the left places pane will open a dialog giving me the option to safley remove (unmount) it.

BUT it dose NOT mount it untill I tell it to!!

so like sithlord48 has inferd you may have instaled somthing to aoutomount sutch devices.

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hmmm, but no other device automounts, just this one.

It is a nusance at best, and since I know my way around the command line, and can also use nautilus, I can deal.

It happens on 3 different machines running Karmic. I doubt I accidentally installed the same package on all 3 machines:-) But your guesses do make sense. Must be a quirk on my particular drive.

Comment

Originally posted by maestrobwh1
          It happens on 3 different machines running Karmic. I doubt I accidentally installed the same package on all 3 machines:-) But your guesses do make sense. Must be a quirk on my particular drive.
          that is very odd.. i have used many usb/flash and other removable media across quite a few version of kubuntu. i have not found one that forces it self to auto mount (then again i don't have one w/ a U3 system either)

so it could be a quirk of that device. but there must be a little more to the story.
          is this a fresh install? if not what things did you install on your machine?
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

you say your using nautilus is that all the gnome apps you have or do you have the gnome-desktop to .....(like I do )

eney way mabey nautilus has a seting to auto mount things ?? ...............or some other seting some ware youv customized ?? mabey

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I have a 4GB Sandisk cruzer micro. The first thing I did when it was new was "dd" it, then used GParted to partition and format it as I want it. When you "dd" it, you kind of lobotomize it -- kills off all the Sandisk software on it.

It doesn't automount anywhere, now.

Comment

I had considered doing that actually; however, I do get forced into using windows at work and I do like the way it works in windows (one of the few things I actually find to work better). I like the software, and this just started happening on ONE computer so I am at a loss.

Comment

Working...
                X