This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken audio

So my audio recently broke randomly. If I go to youtube, it says I don't have flash installed or java script turned on. But I know for a fact neither of those are true. If I run sudo firefox, the video will play but still no sound. If I go to system settings, then multimedia, my device is listed on the chart. It even plays the test sound. I have no idea what's left to do.

Re: Broken audio

Originally posted by Falmarri

If I run sudo firefox
    Why would you do that? It looks like you have been running user packages as root -- a sure path to destruction of your Kubuntu system. :P

Comment

I did it once. I read on another forum that someone did that to fix their audio. and I'm more than willing to try something without thinking about it lol. But it was broken long before I tried that.

Comment

#6 on the FAQs in my signature is the starting point for audio troubleshooting. Basically, you need to get audio working reliably on Kubuntu, BEFORE fiddling with youtube.com and flash and that stuff.

Once audio is working (i.e. you can play .wav and .mp3 files), then you install the multimedia codecs and flashplugin-nonfree, and you should be able to run flash in youtube videos, as a USER (not as "sudo").

Comment

It was working fine for a while. It randomly broke after working fine for a week.

Comment

OK.

Follow the guidance to get it working again --

Maybe you will need to
            Code:
            sudo remove --purge gnash flashplugin-nonfree
            and then
            Code:
            sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
            And possibly
            Code:
             sudo apt-get remove --purge firefox
            and then
            Code:
            sudo apt-get install firefox

Comment

Well now it shows videos without saying I don't have flash, but still no sound. Kaffeine works fine in playing mp3s, but Konqueror doesn't have audio from youtube either.

Comment

Working...
              X