This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad 2D peformance integrated intel gma965

My laptop performs very poorly for 2d graphics. For example, Kwin effects are very choppy. and the whole desktop experience feels slow. In Jaunty, I was able to fix this by adding the following line under the "Device" section in my xorg.conf:

Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
    In Karmic, there is no xorg.conf by default, so I copied my old one (from Jaunty). However, everything is still slow. Here is my xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection
    From googling about, it sounds like "MigrationHeuristic" is only an option for the "EXA" mode, while Karmic has switched the intel driver to "UXA". So I tried adding this line under the "Device" section:

Option "AccelMethod" "exa"
    But this didn't help.

anyone else experiencing this on karmic? and is there a way to tweak UXA to be faster?
    A Player who makes a theme great is better than a great player .. Losing your self for the team for the good of the team .. now thats team work

Re: Bad 2D peformance integrated intel gma965

same here!

With 9.04 the intel driver was practically not usable for me (X61t). Kate and Kdevelop produced so many artifacts that working was impossible. Now they don't produce them anymore, however CPU consumption is tremendous which makes the whole affair still tedious!
    So it's back to vesa for me - see you next spring....

Comment

Re: Bad 2D peformance integrated intel gma965

ok i spoke too soon!!!!
      turns out - while trying to fix the sound issue - because of the upgrade from 9.04 my grub (ONE, that is) wasn't working! It did't show the 2.6.31 kernel - only the old one (e.g. 2.6.27). Even sudo update-grub didn't fix it so I had to manually edit menu.lst. Now the driver works quite smooth (sound, too).
      Only problem: xrandr --rotate doesn't! Which sucks for me.....

Comment

Working...
      X