X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] :Nvidia Broken?

At least on my GT260 vidcard :-(

First noticed on Ubuntu, as soon as i turn on composite managers (compiz and even in stead of, the metacity composit option) after random time, all seems to freeze or slow to a crawl, and the screen blinks err real slow, ALT - SysReq - K and a lot of patience brings me back to login and a very short period of normal working system (if i am lucky enough just to logout 8-( ).. Ah well no biggie, hope it get fixed with new nvidia driver, but alas, it now also happens on my beloved Kubuntu Karmic! not as often as on ubuntu, but i love the effects of Kubuntu :-(

Any work-around? Or fix?

Desperate,

Wilco ;-)

Err on a side note, my 9.04 Ubuntu with all composit bells and whistles works like a charm on the exact same system..

Re: Nvidia Broken?

My laptop has NVidea and it's so far working fine.

Please don't get desperate about issues in a TEST version!

Comment

The reason i am desperate is not because of test/beta, but it worked in alpha :-( now it doesn't that hurts, especially with just so little time to go before release!
      And the fact that so little people seem to have this (at least i have seen no more posts with this) makes me anxious that this will be overlooked, and i have to skip this release.
      Not a real biggie, 9.04 works a treat, but, i really really like the current Kubuntu, it is the first 4.x release that is good enough to stay on my machine, and i would hate to mis out on it.

Comment

I see no problem with Nvidia here -- after yesterday's new kernels I reinstalled the driver and it has been running 12 hours with no issues.

Some things to do:

-
        Code:
        lspci -vv
        and paste the stanza that shows the Nvidia GPU, so we can see.

- run glxgears in a Konsole window and let it run for a minute or two -- is it stable?

- open Alt-F2 "nvidia-settings" and then click on OpenGL Settings -- try unchecking one or both settings

The *buntu "Hardware Drivers" utility does not work reliably for me, so install the downloaded Nvidia driver (presently running 190.36 Beta). Yesterday I noticed that there were two different versions of the 2.6.31-13 kernel -- one in the morning updates and another one in the evening. I reinstalled my Nvidia driver both times, because I have seen this become a problem before.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          I see no problem with Nvidia here -- after yesterday's new kernels I reinstalled the driver and it has been running 12 hours with no issues.

-
          Code:
          lspci -vv
          and paste the stanza that shows the Nvidia GPU, so we can see.

05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT200 [GeForce GTX 260] (rev a1)
          Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
          Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
          Latency: 0
          Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
          Region 0: Memory at fa000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
          Region 1: Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
          Region 3: Memory at f8000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32M]
          Region 5: I/O ports at fc00 [size=128]
          [virtual] Expansion ROM at fb000000 [disabled] [size=512K]
          Capabilities: <access denied>
          Kernel driver in use: nvidia
          Kernel modules: nvidia, nvidiafb

- run glxgears in a Konsole window and let it run for a minute or two -- is it stable?
          - open Alt-F2 "nvidia-settings" and then click on OpenGL Settings -- try unchecking one or both settings

trying after post

Comment

Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
            approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
            298 frames in 5.0 seconds
            296 frames in 5.0 seconds
            300 frames in 5.0 seconds
            300 frames in 5.0 seconds
            293 frames in 5.0 seconds
            299 frames in 5.0 seconds
            293 frames in 5.0 seconds

seems stable to me?

When i have settings to lower quality i get between 34000 and 9000 frames per 5 sec's then it is not so stable.. I will have to wait and see what this does now ;-)

Thanks anyway, Wilco

I have reinstalled the nvidia glx driver, need to reboot to see how things go, also moved on to kernel .13 that at least removed the collision error all previous kernels gave with booting.
            Oh, and safe settings to x, crashes nvidia settings

Comment

Mine is a 260 also.

I'm not sure there's anything wrong with your driver installation there. Possibly something else is leaking memory or something. After you have rebooted to the new kernel, and satisfied yourself that everything is running, right, I'd say run top in a konsole window and keep an eye on it -- it will show which process is sucking up all the resources.

Or, maybe the updated kernel will fix it.

Comment

Ok, using top, have not thought of that ;-/ but then again dunno if it is using all cpu, my i720 does not often get a real workout ;-)
                It is rebooted now and running a fullscreen glx gears to keep it busy, i will look in an hour or so, to see if it is still alive.

Comment

What motherboard did you put your i720 on? Just curious -- I'm thinking of building a new box one of these days.

Comment

ASRock deluxe, like it a lot

Comment

Thanks. It's on my list.

Comment

Thanks. It's on my list.
                        I bought it because it was here in Holland at least the MoBo that had the most going for it compared with the rest, that is for the price good options ;-) Maybe not the fastest kid on the block, Tom's Hardware has a rather comprehensive report on the 'lower budget' boards http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...oard,2368.html has a lot of info ;-)

Btw after a update to the new kernel and a reinstall on both Kubuntu & Ubuntu i have been up and running for hours without a hickup !

So this coeld be considered 'solved'

Comment

Working...
                        X