Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDM Problem (??) - New KDE BSOD-Like Feature?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDM Problem (??) - New KDE BSOD-Like Feature?

Did an update late last evening - was groggy and am not really sure what was updated. At update conclusion, simply did a shutdown.

At startup this AM, noticed 1-pixel, irregular fringing on bottom and right sides of the desktop image. Nothing I start is immune from crashing (Arora especially so), but I have pretty good luck with Kontact/KMail and Adept package manager. For a while I thought Opera 10.0 was immune to it, but I'm seeing it there also. Same goes for OpenOffice.

Programs simply crash and flow returns to KDE login screen for another iteration of same.

Anyone else experiencing this?

P.S. Running an old Sempron 2600+, with ATI Radeon R350 (Radeon 9800 Pro).
    Omnia mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.

Re: KDM Problem (??) - New KDE BSOD-Like Feature?

The strange screen behaviour looks at first glance like a video driver problem.

But I feel crashing of (so many) individual applications has little to do with the video.

Have you checked you still have the right ATI driver installed?
    What about (temporarily) reverting to a generic driver like VESA?

Anyhow, today there were more updates, maybe they'll fix your problems.

Comment

For me its happens with OpenGL KDE desktop effects set on.

I have ati video card.

Setting OpenGL to off simply stops crashes.

By the way, KDE without opengl - is not kindly useful.

Please, give back opengl on ati card!

Comment

I don't think I have OpenGL effects set on, nor can I find out. The one program that is GUARANTEED to bomb is System Settings - it doesn't even begin to open. And currently can't get Arora/Opera/Konqueror to run, either.

The 1-pixel white fringing on the main desktop goes away after doing Ctrl-F2 / Ctrl-F1 toggle.

Currently Kontact/KMail and Adept are running, virtually without bombing. Strangely enough Kmahjongg/Kpat/Ksudoku all run just fine. Thought for a moment that Kstars did, too, but it just bombed.

Weird!!

Comment

It seems to me that some solution I have got:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...er/029312.html

setting radeon.modeset=1 is helpful indeed and disables crashes. tty mode looks fine to me with this param.

I have used direct test providing "radeon.modeset=1" into /etc/defaults/grub (default kernel options where option splash resides). Then update-grub to rebuild grub.cfg.

I suspect there is a better place for customize radeon driver settings:

/etc/modprobe.conf (create if missing):
          options radeon modeset=1

it still slower than vesa, but works...

also good source to get involved is https://edge.launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa

Comment

Thank you so much, molostoff!

Creating file /etc/modprobe.conf, with contents 'options radeon modeset=1' did the trick.

Comment

I am experiencing the same problem sblass described. So perhaps it is not coincidence that the problem occurs on my system with ATI Radeon video.

I will try the workaround that molostoff has posted and report back.

Comment

Darn. The workaround does not work well. As in, it works, but I had to add more workarounds to it.

What happened in my case:

I booted via grub to the recovery mode kernel option and to the command line. I added the line "options radeon modeset=1" to /etc/modprobe.conf

Then I rebooted and selected the normal kernel bootup option during grub.

I got a super BSOD. A Black screen of death. Lol? I then had to unplug the power from my computer before I could try any more workarounds.

Second try: I booted to recovery mode and selected command prompt with networking. Entered root password when prompted, then "sudo kdm"

That worked. At least I am able to type this followup posting in Kubuntu instead of THAT other operating system. Lol?

Comment

Originally posted by tkteo
                  That worked. At least I am able to type this followup posting in Kubuntu instead of THAT other operating system. Lol?
                  There could be a diff between ati cards (and other hw essentials) and a status of currently appearing new updates. For example, a have received new updates that broke this radeon tweak. Still in search.... It looks like there are intensive opengl developments and so on.... :/

Comment

my system (dell inspiron 6400, kubuntu karmic, ATI X1400, last update 2009/10/08) crashes when opening menu...

solution: turn desktop effects of from command line (if enabled)

open konsole and type:

qdbus org.kde.kwin /KWin org.kde.KWin.toggleCompositing

now i can use my laptop, but no fancy effects yet

/var/log/kdm.log after crash:
                    *********************************WARN_ONCE******** *************************
                    File radeon_dma.c function radeonReleaseDmaRegions line 348
                    Leaking dma buffer object!
                    ************************************************** *************************
                    X: radeon_bo_legacy.c:207: legacy_is_pending: Assertion `bo_legacy->is_pending <= bo->cref' failed.

see http://www.mail-archive.com/dri-deve.../msg43452.html

Comment

Yup, I just updated some packages from the Karmic repositories, which have rendered (pun intended) the workaround ineffective.

And I am typing these remarks while booted into that other OS. Weep!

Comment

Originally posted by fsaravia
                        X: radeon_bo_legacy.c:207: legacy_is_pending: Assertion `bo_legacy->is_pending <= bo->cref' failed.

see http://www.mail-archive.com/dri-deve.../msg43452.html

With new mesa libs that come in update an radeon.modeset is still helping/working.
                        anyway, it looks like a bug, so i have submitted it into https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rg/+bug/446845

Comment

Thank you so very much for your help. I have subscribed to the bug report, and will update things on my end when I can.

Comment

Originally posted by fsaravia
                            solution: turn desktop effects of from command line (if enabled)

open konsole and type:

qdbus org.kde.kwin /KWin org.kde.KWin.toggleCompositing

now i can use my laptop, but no fancy effects yet
                            fsaravia's suggeston to toggle off the desktop effects via the command line does help so far. After toggling off, I went into Kubuntu System Settings, then Desktop, then turned off all desktop effects by unchecking the box.

So far so good.

On the other hand, the radeon.modeset=1 method does not work for me at all, regardless of whether I am including the option via /etc/defaults/grub or /etc/modprobe.conf

I also ran "sudo update-grub" after creating the /etc/defaults/grub file but I do not see the "radeon.modeset=1" option present anywhere in menu.lst

Is there something I did wrong?

molostoff: would you please list the contents of what /etc/defaults/grub and /etc/modprobe.conf should be?

thanks,
                            tkteo

Comment

Originally posted by tkteo
                              molostoff: would you please list the contents of what /etc/defaults/grub and /etc/modprobe.conf should be?

thanks,
                              tkteo

/etc/default/grub:
                              Code:
                              # If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
                              # /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
                              GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
                              GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
                              GRUB_TIMEOUT="10"
                              GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
                              GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet radeon.modeset=1 splash"
                              GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
                              /etc/modprobe.conf:
                              Code:
                              options radeon modeset=1
                              as for me, with the latest updates i have received it seems that modprobe.conf does not help anymore, only grub kernel option helps.

I am not sure which updates you have already received and which are still pending for you, so both methods are desirable, but grub option is prefered, i suppose.

I still dont know better solution, modeset=1 slows down kubuntu opengl effects, slows down video and in overall is a resource hog solution, eventually freezing desk, but now the tty console with vbemode=3 autoenabled at boot by radeon driver is indeed only one thing i like from this "patch".

Still looking for good solution to make workable on ati card! Please, help return happy day!

Comment

Working...
                              X