Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multiple errors on startup . . . SOLVED FINALLY and for good.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple errors on startup . . . SOLVED FINALLY and for good.

For an explanation of these mysterious shut down and start up problems see my lengthy post in this forum section.

/dev/sda1: UUID=". . ." SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext (EXPLAINED, SOLVED)

Turns out it was a motherboard slowly going bad.

Installed and used one of the early Alpha versions of 9.10 and upgraded continuously as upgrades became available. No major problems ever, just minor stuff.

After the latest kernel updates however I am experiencing multiple errors on startup, specifically with kernel 2.6.31.-12, 39 and 40):
    'Superblock' error with 'time in future' messages - temporarily fixed with a workaround from a thread in this forum (FSCKFIX=yes) in file /etc/default/rcS;
    'device description read/64',
    'device not accepting address...',
    'unable to enumerate USB 1. . .'

after the laundry list is posted completely, the system boots into the desired version.
    However, on restart the system hangs on a black screen.
    I need to shut off power and do a complete cold start to get things going again.

It does not happen with the previous kernel version (2.6.31-11).

These error messages started a couple of days ago. Recent updates did not fix the problem.

I suspected a low BIOS battery. Checked, the battery is alright.
    My HDDs are fine. No problems there.

I wonder whether I am the only one to experience these problems. I have seen some similar issues mentioned but not the entire laundry list. It flies by too fast to read completely.

Any workarounds or other suggested remedies?

Re: Multiple errors on startup after latest 9.10 upgrades (2.6.31-12)

You wouldn't have a printer connected to USB 1 by any chance?

Comment

Re: Multiple errors on startup after latest 9.10 upgrades (2.6.31-12)

Yes, there is a printer connected. Power is off.
      HP Photosmart 1215.

Originally posted by The Liquidator
      You wouldn't have a printer connected to USB 1 by any chance?

Comment

Re: Multiple errors on startup after latest 9.10 upgrades (2.6.31-12) (SOLVED)

Originally posted by PJJ
        Installed and used one of the early Alpha versions of 9.10 and upgraded continuously as upgrades became available. No major problems ever, just minor stuff.

After the latest kernel updates however I am experiencing multiple errors on startup, specifically with kernel 2.6.31.-12, 39 and 40). . .

I suspected a low BIOS battery. Checked, the battery is alright.
        My HDDs are fine. No problems there.

I wonder whether I am the only one to experience these problems. I have seen some similar issues mentioned but not the entire laundry list. It flies by too fast to read completely.
        . . .
        After a lackluster response to my post and many, many more error messages and boot issues of all kinds, I reverted back to my original suspicion. I measured the bios battery again and compared it to another bios battery CR2032. Both measured at 3.27 volts.

But the error messages kept coming. BIOS checksum error and the likes.

Therefore i decided to buy a new battery and install it. the new battery also measured 3.27 V !

Installed it, started the computer, reset BIOS data to optimized factory values. My computer started up happily and without the slightest glitch.
        I can only assume that all three batteries measured 3.27 without load, but that the voltage of the two used/older batteries would not hold that voltage under load.

So, if a forum post does not bring any replies, keep on working on the problem. Doesn't matter whether you suspect your question to be foolish or to trivial for the initiated to trifle with. You will eventually find a solution. And you can learn something in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by PJJ

So, if a forum post does not bring any replies, keep on working on the problem. Doesn't matter whether you suspect your question to be foolish or to trivial for the initiated to trifle with. You will eventually find a solution. And you can learn something in the process.
          And post back what you did to fix the problem. This will be helpful when a new user uses the search function or even google to locate help for a problem. I am glad it is all working now.

Mike
          http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

It's simple but a lengthy process.
            First, I searched the forum for any indications of issues with 9.10 Beta. Found some stuff that was identical to my errors.
            With updates coming in, many of those errors disappeared.

Then I installed 9.04 on a spare drive in order to be able to work and research.

When even 9.04 (which I had run for a long time without problems) came up with startup problems, I had to conclude that the black screen and the erratic error messages were all created in the process of booting into either 9.04 or 9.10.

Black screen I concluded to come from the computer not getting the correct basic boot info on the BIOS level.
            If and when I managed to a screen on post, I could see ever changing error messages, such as "floppy failed", "no disk in floppy", Bios checksum error and the like. The floppy drive error occurred despite the missing floppy drive.
            Date, time and boot sequence also kept changing after every computer shutoff.

Kind of classic indication that the BIOS battery must be low. I suspected that in the first place, but convinced myself that the battery is still good when I measured it with 3.27V. That's the voltage of a new battery.

Changed the battery out anyway just to rule out a low battery.

And, lo and behold, no more error messages. Both Kubuntu versions boot correctly and shut down as programmed.

So far, I have not found any of the other application related errors. Guess they were 'updated' away.

By the way, much of the work was done from recovery boot and on the command line. Just to be safe.

Now I have only one other concern left: Warnings from rkhunter about suspect files and directories.
            My guess: the warnings stem from the OS updates.

I am by no means a Linux expert. But systematic and persistent elimination of possible causes for the errors finally lead to the root of the problem.
            Should have followed my intuition in the first place.

Comment

Those batteries should be trickle charged as long as the power cord is plugged into the computer. In most computers it takes weeks or longer for that CMOS battery to discharge after power is removed. To prevent the CMOS battery becoming discharged you can keep the computer plugged in but leave it shut down. Otherwise the ability of the battery to retain charge may be compromised.

Classic symptoms of dead CMOS battery can include all kinds of strange glitches, depending on the BIOS. Older motherboards were especially dependent on CMOS to configure hard drives, memory, and system clock. A dead CMOS battery could sometimes cause memory size errors.
              Welcome newbies!
              Verify the ISO
              Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

@PJJ, nice job sorting the problem! I read your original post, and could only scratch my head -- I didn't think of the CMOS battery at all. Hats off!

Comment

Thank you, dibl.

Comment

Telengard's remarks triggered an after thought:

Though I may shut down the computer once in a while, I always have the power cord plugged in. Still, the problems arose after every full shutdown.

My motherboard and its Bios battery are not exactly spring chickens. In fact, the original Bios battery has reached age 5, I reckon. That's close to the end of the average lifetime of a Lithium battery and right at the stage where recharging is becoming more and more difficult.

And another remark: My Bios, memory, checksum and other errors appeared right around the time when the Linux kernel had issue with setting the clock and maintaining the time and other startup problems, including freezing at restart or black screens.

Only by installing an older kernel and starting the computer with it, could I see that even this proven kernel had identical problems.

Consequently, it had to be something other than software alone.
                    At that point I concluded that the BIOS battery might be the culprit. I replaced it with a new one. It worked. Should have followed my original intuition instead of waiting till the erratic error messages on startup (if I could start the computer at all) made it abundantly clear that something was going on on the Bios level.

What did I learn from all this?

Sometimes it takes a lot of analysis to zero in on the actual problem.
                    Going one step at a time and systematically is the best way of doing so.
                    The real problem may be obscured by some minor issues that have not much to do with it at all.
                    Sorting it all out, takes time and effort.
                    Persistence eventually will pay off.
                    Though many of the forum members are infinitely more knowledgeable than I am, it is extremely difficult for anyone who does not sit at the computer on startup and thus can observe the error messages (or can read the log file) as they fly by to diagnoze a problem and dispense advice.

Originally posted by Telengard
                    . . . To prevent the CMOS battery becoming discharged you can keep the computer plugged in but leave it shut down. Otherwise the ability of the battery to retain charge may be compromised.

Classic symptoms of dead CMOS battery can include all kinds of strange glitches, depending on the BIOS. Older motherboards were especially dependent on CMOS to configure hard drives, memory, and system clock. A dead CMOS battery could sometimes cause memory size errors.

Comment

Working...
                    X