This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beeping like crazy on shutdown

Has anyone experienced on shutdown or as system shuts down in a reboot, a constant stream of about 10-15 beeps, (hard to count as they are so close together), from the internal PC speaker, followed by a constant long beep before the system shuts down?. It does not occur all the time, about 40% of all reboots/shutdowns it is triggered. It almost sounds like my system is about to explode, its a bit worrying.

I first experienced this with the last couple of kernels in Karmic, something that I've observed was that I usually see a splash screen on shutdown, but when this crazy beeping sounds I have nothing but text, and the last thing I see is something like "shutting down ALSA...", a few times I've had a totally corrupted display, almost like the system is trying to display a picture, but has already shutoff power to the graphics card?.

I suspect its the new kernels that are causing it, or maybe the new usplash?.

There is nothing wrong with my system, 9.04 it don't happen to, and it does not happen in Vista, because I know many will think it sounds like its hardware related, my system can play games for hours and is solid. It's ONLY during reboot/shutdown, and ONLY in the latest versions of karmic to date.

Re: Beeping like crazy on shutdown

I've had this happen sometimes. I've kind of assumed it happened when I was resetting after other problems (e.g., KDE playing up after resume), but perhaps that's a spurious pattern. I've never let it get as far as a long beep - I've always done a panicky hard-reset by holding down the power button! - but it's interesting to know that it does eventually reset.

Incidentally, I've never experienced a problem from having done a hard reset at that point - no fsck on reboot or anything like that - so I think the system is pretty much shut down at the stage it happens.

What computer are you using? I'm on a Thinkpad X200s, and had assumed it might be something hardware-specific.

Comment

Yeah, mine does it sometimes too. My guess is ACPI but it appears they're working on it.

Hardware specs? Homebuilt Core i7, 64-bit Karmic.
      we see things not as they are, but as we are.
      -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by olembe
        I've never let it get as far as a long beep - I've always done a panicky hard-reset by holding down the power button! - but it's interesting to know that it does eventually reset.
        This is exactly how I responded the first few times it happened, well the first time I just outright panicked and switched the PC's mains supply off, lol.

My PC is a home built desktop, AMD quad core 9750, mobo ASUS M3A.

Its an odd problem, but good to know others have this too, in a funny sort of way lol.

Comment

Working...
        X