X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No sound in KDE. Phonon problem?

Hi,
    I have 2 sound cards - an ancient SBLive (my default audio device) and an on-board Intel (disabled in BIOS). Last upgrades (sometime within last 2 days) broke audio system in KDE completely. After login I get an information from Phonon library that my audio devices were not detected (here comes a full list including supposedly working SBLive) and do I wish to remove them from hardware drivers' list permanently. There is no sound in KDE (no system sounds) and mixer doesn't work. Both cards are greyed out in multimedia section of system settings (only PulseAudio remains active, but it doesn't work anyway). Kernel modules are however loaded - console applications like mpg123 and mplayer have no problem with playback. Does anybody has similar problem?

Re: No sound in KDE. Phonon problem?

I've had the same problem with almost identical hardware in an identical configuration (old SB live, disabled Intel onboard audio). I can tell you what it was for me and it might work for you - I found I no longer had permission to access the soundcard and that the problem was policykit.

To see if you have the same issue open a terminal window and do this -

aplay -l

If you see "no soundcards detected" try this -

sudo aplay -l

If your soundcard shows up then the problem is your user account doesn't have permission to access the soundcard.

Hope this helps -
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
    X