X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel graphics on 9.10

Hi All

Well, being fond of a white-knuckle ride I have bitten the bullet. After giving the live CD a spin I did a clean install of Alpha 6 (well it's only a few days away from Beta when I would normally do it ) and I reformatted - creating 2 ext 4 partitions (root + home) plus swap, to tidy up. Now even with a virtual machine in the home directory I still have plenty of free space available for my camcorder work. I would not have been able to do this had I not discovered grsync thanks to a posting on the ubuntu forums as I had never been able to do a proper home backup and retain permissions other than burning to DVD. However, I expect you all probably know about it.

To my point. In a post elsewhere I had noted that when following the intel graphics performance guide on the ubuntu website that there would appear to be a fairly serious regression from the intel 2.7 drivers to 2.8. This has appeared in 9.10. In my 2 test games (Torcs and Extreme Tux Racer) Frame rates are less than a third than they were in jaunty. Everything else seems to be working Okay. Has anyone else noticed this?

I have noted that I don't have an xorg.conf file at all any more. Is this in any way relevant?

Thanks

Re: Intel graphics on 9.10

I noticed that on the 32bit 9.04 and 9.10, and even with the PPA patches, although they improved my fps by a factor of 2 to 3, didn't improve it enough to make TORCS run.

However, my 64bit 9.10 installation runs TORCS beautifully. I can get up to 58 fps in SecondLife, Stellarium, etc...

BUT.... there are buffer problems that cause my secondary 3D screen to be scrambled, which shows up on Stellarium when I hit F2 and throw up a configuration box. It is totally unusable. Just a scrambled mess. When I try to save snapshots in SecondLife the images are filled with artifacts. The i915 driver to my GM45 chip is so unstable that SecondLife can not stay live more than a few minutes without totally locking up my notebook. Not even Sysreq + REISUB keys lead to reboot. I have to hit the power button.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

>I have noted that I don't have an xorg.conf file at all any more.

I hope those of us running proprietary graphics drivers that require xorg.conf edits are going to be ok....
      # make install --not-war

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
        I noticed that on the 32bit 9.04 and 9.10, and even with the PPA patches, although they improved my fps by a factor of 2 to 3, didn't improve it enough to make TORCS run.
        With the 2.7 drivers for my i915, Torcs ran well for me in Jaunty- 40fps at some points, and everything was smooth. Using the "bleeding edge" option -2.8- it was always less than 10 and artifacts were so bad that the car was in 3 pieces!

It's not quite that bad but it now maxes out at 7-8fps and is actually now easy to play as it's so slow

Do you think downgrading to the 2.7 driver (which is the best things have ever been) could work?

Comment

For my notebook? No. All that version ever gave me was a gray screen. I could hear the desktop running in the background, but what I could see of it looked like the upper left hand 1/4th sq in had been expanded to fill the screen, in glorious gray and white.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

._. oy, I have intel, (btw Thanks So Much Liquidator, helped me out a bunch.) But still, I hope the Intel graphics are better for karmic...
            Might have to use Gnome I guess.
            Kubuntu9.04 AcerAspire3680

Comment

I don't know if this offers hope to the Intel graphics users -- seems like it should:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NzU3NA

Comment

Originally posted by SirRudolph
                ._. oy, I have intel, (btw Thanks So Much Liquidator, helped me out a bunch.) But still, I hope the Intel graphics are better for karmic...
                Might have to use Gnome I guess.
                In the main, unless you are using heavy Kde desktop effects, I believe that it won't actually matter too much which desktop you use.

Comment

I have all the effects off regardless, cant stand the crashes. xD
                  Kubuntu9.04 AcerAspire3680

Comment

Working...
                  X