This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9/13 nvidia breakage

If you apply today's libc6 updates, and reboot... you'll find that the nvidia driver fails to start up. This will hang your machine at a black screen (with the nvidia logo popping up occassionaly) while it's trying to start X.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...80/+bug/429003

To recover, boot in recovery mode, choose the root console option, and reinstall the old packages (they'll most likely still be in the cache) with:

Code:
     sudo dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6-i386_2.10.1-0ubuntu9_amd64.deb /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.10.1-0ubuntu9_amd64.deb
    Use the 'exit' command to get back to the recovery console, choose 'resume' to continue the normal bootup... and everything should work fine.
    Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Re: 9/13 nvidia breakage

Didn't have any trouble with it here, but I am running the NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-190.32-pkg2.run beta driver.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Re: 9/13 nvidia breakage

Originally posted by doctordruidphd
      Didn't have any trouble with it here, but I am running the NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-190.32-pkg2.run beta driver.
      Same here. All working as expected.

Comment

Working...
      X