This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] xrandr for dual monitors

Under Jaunty, I had no trouble using xrandr to power a second monitor, next to my laptop monitor, which I used for giving presentations. I started it with this command:

Code:
    xrandr --output VGA --auto --right-of LVDS
    and my xorg.conf consisted of this:

Code:
    Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Configured Monitor"
    EndSection                 

Section "Screen"
        Identifier   "Default Screen"
        Monitor     "Configured Monitor"
        Device     "Configured Video Device"
        SubSection "Display"
            Virtual 2800 1024
        EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier   "Configured Video Device"
        Option     "AccelMethod" "uxa"
    EndSection
    In Karmic, the same xrandr command is doing nothing. I've tried fiddling with xorg.conf, removing and adding the "Device" and "Monitor" sections. At the moment it looks like this:

Code:
    Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier   "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier   "Default Screen"
        Monitor     "Configured Monitor"
        Device     "Configured Video Device"
        SubSection "Display"
            Virtual 2800 1024
        EndSubSection
    EndSection
    If I just type xrandr with the second monitor plugged in, it reports seeing the monitor, showing the usual list of available resolutions and refresh rates. KRandRtray will let me mirror the contents of my monitor just fine, but I've never been able to get side-by-side monitors using that (has anyone?).

So does anybody have any suggestions for what I'm doing wrong? I'm guessing it's something to do with my xorg.conf - is that right? I start teaching again soon so getting this working is a priority!

UPDATE: I've just had a look in System Settings > Display. Even if I activate my second monitor from here, so that it is mirroring my first (just like with KRandRTray), the 'Multiple Monitors' section continues to say "This section is only for configuring systems with a single desktop spread across multiple monitors. You do not appear to have this configuration". I know! I want it!

UPDATE 2: Solved it! Rather than delete this message I thought I'd provide the solution here in case anyone else needs it. In Karmic, X has changed its default names. They used to be VGA and LVDS but now they are, by default, VGA1 and LVDS1. Using those in the xrandr command solved everything. Phew!

Re: [SOLVED] xrandr for dual monitors

Thanks for marking it solved!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
    X