This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alsa sound, Firefox, and unplugging my T61

My google-fu is failing me on this one, and it's a persistent problem that's been around for the last three or so releases of Kubuntu. I can't find much that makes sense on Google, so I'm going to ask here.

I'm running a pretty stable Jaunty on my IBM T61 laptop. My sound works great when using Amarok to play music, or VLC player to watch movies. But there's a specific and annoying problem that keeps creeping up on me.

I use Firefox 3.5 (but this happened in 3.0, too) to do most of my web browsing. When I first start up the laptop and the app, my sound works fine. I can play YouTube, Hulu, hear sound, etc. BUT...if I unplug my laptop and move it to another outlet or part of the house (which I do several times a day), the next time I attempt to play sound through anything on the web, it delays, stutters, and generally epic fails.

The solution is a pretty simple one--all I have to do is close Firefox, run a "ps -ef" in my terminal (which I do because FF 3.5 is quirky like that and sometimes doesn't shut down all the way), and then run a "sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart" in the terminal, and restart Firefox. Problem solved. But it's a pain in the arse, and it doesn't really sell the neighbors on the value of Linux as a viable alt to their crappy Vista PCs.

Has anyone got a solution? Or is this a bona-fide bug I should report to either KDE, Ubuntu, or Firefox?

Thanks!

Re: Alsa sound, Firefox, and unplugging my T61

For what it's worth, I'm running KK on a T61 (specifically MTM 7659-C29) and I run Jaunty on it as well. I don't have the problem you are describing. I did have a problem back on Jaunty that if I left a flash video paused for a long time and then tried to play it, it would stutter as you describe, but I attributed that to an issue with the flash plugin.

Here's the audio card my T61 has:
    Code:
    tnorris@tnorris-laptop:~$ lspci | grep -i audio
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)

Comment

Re: Alsa sound, Firefox, and unplugging my T61

this is the first i have heard of anything like that... my old laptop a dell c840 had no problems when i unpluged it and moved it to another outlet..it could be a bug w/ your sound hardware.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
      X