This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox

I was using ubuntu 9.04 AMD64 with KDE desktop and then foolishly upgraded to 9,10. I should have known better than to ever upgrade to a new linux distro in the first 2 months after release.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I have installed Kubuntu 9.04 AMD64.

I cannot install Firefox, it gets as far as looking for dependencies and just keeps looking ... for hours.

Any suggestions?

Re: Firefox

Ubuntu 9.04? You don't mean Kubuntu 9.04?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

No, I installed Ubuntu 9.04 and then the KDE desktop in my previous version, This time I installed Kubuntu 9.04 and it is pretty much non functional as far as installing software goes. Most packages show no files.

The problem with Firefox is xulrunner 1.9 is broken. But the problem is wider. I think the KDE package installer is not working properly.

I have had enough. I will install Ubuntu 9.04 again.

Kubuntu is a big mess.

Comment

Originally posted by richard
        Kubuntu is a big mess.
        The problem with this kind of 'generalization' is that it isn't factual, and for other 'newbies' who visit KFN it inaccurately portrays Kubuntu in a bad light.

What 'may' be 'factual' is that 'for you' Kubuntu is a 'big mess.' That means it's *your* opinion and should be identified as such - an opinion. That you find it not working for you doesn't mean it doesn't work for others - many, many, many others.

Those thousands and thousands of users of Kubuntu who have little or no problems with it would simply smile and chuckle quietly to themselves if it weren't for the fact that it is said publicly here, and elsewhere. Unqualified (read: not stated as 'my opinion') statements such as these do a disservice to Kubuntu and do nothing to help, either the poster, or the community at large.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by richard

Any suggestions?
          I'd be very suspicious of the CD -- could be a defect or a burn error. (Assuming there's no issue with your Internet connection).

Neither Kubuntu 9.04 or the current released version, 9.10 is a "big mess". And if there's some problem with Firefox (which I'm not experiencing), then that would not be Canonical's problem either.

Comment

Thank you for the helpful replies.

My experience was unsatisfactory when installing Kubuntu, whether 9.10 AMD64 as an upgrade, as a fresh install from cd, or as a fresh install of 9.04 from CD.

My experience when installing Ubuntu 9.04 AMD64 from CD was excellent.

Comment

Sorry, I realise that last post could be misconstrued.

I was most impressed to get immediate feedback from knowledgeable contributors and apologise for letting my frustration out unfairly.

Comment

Because all *buntus use common package repositories, there's no reason that a Kubuntu installation should "hang" installing Firefox -- it is getting the packages from the same repository that you got them from with Ubuntu. That's why I say there is something else going on there.

Comment

Working...
                X