This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.1 startup page

When I login and boot KDE, the KDE startup page indicates that KDE 4.1 is being booted.

Now I assume that I am far beyond 4.1 since I am running Jaunty Jackalope and have been updating whenever notified. I have looked around and have no obvious way to determine the version of KDE I am running, but assume it must be greater than 4.1.

So I see that 9.10 is only days away from release and I will probably upgrade to 9.10 within the next week or 2.

So how do I get the KDE sartup page to reflect the correct version number?

I would like to get the correct version number displayed either before or after the upgrade.

Re: KDE 4.1 startup page

by start up screen do you mean the splash screen (shows after log in before desktop)

if so check system settings ->apperance -> splash screens
    you can change it there..it has nothing to do really with your version. as you can set any one that you want as ur splash(click the get new button to get new ones). you can find out the version of kde by opening any kde app (dolphin is a good one to use) and under the help menu select "about kde" . i hope that you find this helpful
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
      by start up screen do you mean the splash screen (shows after log in before desktop)

if so check system settings ->apperance -> splash screens
      you can change it there..it has nothing to do really with your version. as you can set any one that you want as ur splash(click the get new button to get new ones). you can find out the version of kde by opening any kde app (dolphin is a good one to use) and under the help menu select "about kde" . i hope that you find this helpful
      That's it.

I had used that before to change to the splash screen currently used - didn't occur to me that the "4.1" might be a "permenant" part of the design.

That leads to another question now: When I look at the splash screens available, there is only about 4 or 5. There is an option to "get more themes". When I click the install button to install a new splash screens, nothing happens. The cursor changes to indicate activity, but the new splash screen isn't listed. Sometimes the "Install" button changes to "Uninstall", but about half the time it doesn't.

What happens to the new "installed" splash screens and why don't a lot of them install?

Comment

Originally posted by geezer
        That leads to another question now: When I look at the splash screens available, there is only about 4 or 5. There is an option to "get more themes". When I click the install button to install a new splash screens, nothing happens. The cursor changes to indicate activity, but the new splash screen isn't listed. Sometimes the "Install" button changes to "Uninstall", but about half the time it doesn't.

What happens to the new "installed" splash screens and why don't a lot of them install?
        this one i can only guess at.. and i noticed it happens with just about anything that has a "get new stuff " button. i can only assume since "get new stuff" uses www.kde-look.org to get its new stuff, that it has something to do with how the stuff gets uploaded to kde-look.org, in otherwords the stuff that don't work is in a format that kde4 does not like. (or compressed in a format that you computer can't open)
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
        X